Chapter Fifty-One

I cover Gavroche's ears as we hurriedly walk into Café Musain, Inspector Javert still tied to the staircase, the footsteps of the approaching soldiers getting closer and closer.

"Juliette..." Madame Houcheloup approaches me with a couple of her waitresses who had been unable to leave, hemmed in by the barricade that had been built around the Café Musain. Madame sounds a lot more nervous than I've ever heard her, her face pale and white with fear. "Put Gavroche under the staircase...he'll be safer there..." I silently follow her instructions, a sick feeling starting in my stomach. Without warning, Madame grabs me, enveloping me in the tightest hug that I've ever received from her. My Aunt aside, this is the first motherly tenderness shown to me since the passing of my Mother – it feels almost alien to me, but I soak it up.

"You've been like a Mother to me, Madame..." I whisper.

"And you a daughter..." She replies, a tear falling down her cheek.

"I'm so frightened, Madame...I'm frightened of losing him..." I confess, still squeezing her.

"I remember the first day you got here...you hated him. If you can learn to love him, then you can overcome anything..." She looks at me. "Don't be afraid...you are made of strong stuff!" I look at her and take a deep breath, and for the first time in our conversation, I am aware that Inspector Javert has heard the whole thing. I go to say something to him, but my thoughts are interrupted by a voice outside.

"Who's there?" A voice shouts, I assume the voice of a soldier. There's a pause. No-one answers.

"French Revolution!" Enjolras finally replies, yelling bravely. I start to run toward him, but Madame grabs my arm, holding me back.

"Fire!" The first voice instructs, and before anyone can say anything, an explosion bursts over the barricade. Gunshots fire all around as bullets ricochet off the surrounding buildings, wounding several men. I can't see everything, but I can see enough through the open door of the Café Musain to know what's going on. I look toward the staircase, the waitresses huddled underneath it, shielding Gavroche from the danger outside. Some of our boys start to return fire.

"Comrades! Do not fire back!" I hear Enjolras shout. "Do not waste power!" The opposition start to reload their weapons. Soldiers start to approach the barricade, some even make it to the top of the barricade, but are driven back fiercely by our boys. Marius stands atop the barricade fighting them off. Through the open door, I see a soldier aiming his rifle at my brother. I break away from Madame's grip, running toward the open doorway just in time to see a figure forcing themselves in front of Marius, throwing their body over the rifle just as it fires, protecting Marius' life. Panic reaches a high on the barricade, and in a moment of inspiration using all the might and bravery he can muster, Marius drags a barrel of gunpowder to the top of the barricade. He grabs a nearby torch and tips it towards the barrel.

"Clear out or I'll blow up the barricade!" Marius threatens. Everyone freezes. The gunshots are silenced. My heart is in my mouth again. My brother is this moment of brave stupidity is threatening to kill himself.

"Blow it up then and take yourself with it!" The head army officer from before shouts back, a slight shake in his voice.

"And myself with it!" Marius answers firmly, but his hand shaking slightly. The soldiers back down, returning to their ranks, and Marius climbs down the barricade. I breathe a sigh of relief.

"Marius! You idiot! Don't do that again!" I rush toward him, throwing my arms around him.

"Thank you!" Feuilly hugs Marius after I've let him go. "Thank you..." Some of the other boys rush to him to thank him.

"What were you thinking!" Lesgles scolds him. But I walk away and towards the figure that saved him.

"Is there anything I can do for you?" I say as I approach the figure. The figure turns to look at me, and I see their face for the first time. In an instant, without thinking, I drop to my knees beside the body, wrapping my arms around them, hugging them to me. "Eponine..." Tears start to fall down my face.

"I'm glad I get to say goodbye, Juliette..." Eponine replies, trying not to squirm with pain.

"What do you mean goodbye?" I try to joke, but fail miserably. "We're going to get you help, and we're going to get you through this".

"Thank you for being my friend. You made life brighter. You made Marius notice me...You've given me the happiest weeks of my entire life..." She smiles through the agony of the gunshot wound. "I love you, Juliette..."

"I love you too..." I squeeze her hand, smiling through the tears. "Marius!" I yell behind me. "Marius!"

"What are you doing?" Eponine asks, breathlessly.

"He needs to know, Eponine. He needs to know that it was you who saved him..."