Chapter Thirty-Four

Maggie brought breakfast to the room for us, and was now perched on the edge of my bed formulating a plan with Enjolras and I.

"Grandfather mustn't know who Enjolras really is...he can't know –" I say.

"And he won't know. You have my word. The girls and I will not breathe a single word of what we know", Maggie promises.

"And so, we come up with a backstory". I turn to face Enjolras. "You must pretend that you do not know Marius, and he must pretend that he does not know you. You are a lawyer who speaks up on behalf of the poor – that way, we do not stray too far from the truth", I smile. Enjolras nods in acceptance and agreement. "Grandfather wanted a number for tonight. Could you please pass on to him that there will be fifteen of us, including myself?" I ask Maggie, taking a mouthful of mouth-watering pastry.

"Fifteen?!" Maggie and Enjolras both exclaim, staring at me as if I have five heads.

"Yum..." I savour the taste in my mouth. "This is glorious Maggie! You've really outdone yourself!" I swallow the rest of my current mouthful. "Yes, fifteen", I answer once I've finished my current mouthful. "Me, him", I point at Enjolras, "Marius, the boys". Enjolras starts trying to count in his head. "There's eight of them. You should really know the amount in your squad, Enjolras", I joke before carrying on. Enjolras sticks his tongue out in childish response. "Eponine, Madame Houcheloup –"

"Madame Houcheloup?" Enjolras raises an eyebrow.

"I'm going to make Grantaire bring her as his date", I giggle gleefully to myself. "And, you, Maggie", I turn to face her.

"Me?" She gasps as she raises a hand and places it over her heart.

"Yes. I want you to come as my invited guest –"

"I can't, Juliette. I would love to, but I can't. Your Grandfather needs me to host tonight...I can't miss my work, Juliette. I need the money –"

"I'll give you the money!" I protest.

"I can't do it, Juliette, I'm sorry..." She touches my hand. "I appreciate your generosity, though, I really do. I'll tell your Grandfather that there will be fourteen of you", she smiles warmly.

"If you must..." I smile back despite feeling a little defeated. "I will ensure you dance tonight though, Maggie! You will dance!" I laugh.

"Oh, Miss Juliette!" She laughs too. "You are a case!" Maggie stands to her feet and lifts the tray of empty plates. "I best be off and I'll take these downstairs. I will pass on the message to your Grandfather, and I will also tell the other girls of the plans", she winks. "I assume you two will be leaving the grounds for the day?"

"I plan to, yes", I nod. "I need to go and extend the invitation to the rest of the boys and fill them in".

"Guests are due to start arriving from six thirty tonight. Your Grandfather wishes you to be here to receive them. I expect you will need assistance in getting ready tonight?"

"That would be wonderful, Maggie", I smile gratefully.

"Shall we say, five thirty? I'll meet you back here in this very spot", Maggie suggests.

"Thank you, Maggie...for everything".

"My pleasure", she nods before walking toward the door.

"Here", Enjolras jumps up from where he's sat. "Let me get that for you!" He sprints over to the closed door and opens it for her.

"Such a gentleman", Maggie exclaims in a mock-gasp. "Girl did good!" She winks at me, making me laugh. "I'll see you both later".