Chapter Seventy-Four

Valjean and Courfeyrac both freeze upon hearing Gavroche's question. My eyes widen in panic. Oh no, I think to myself. Oh no, oh no, oh no, oh no.

"I didn't know anything about a baby", Gavroche carries on, not quite registering our reactions. I take a breath and clear my throat, turning my gaze over to him.

"That's why we came here, Gavroche", I start to explain. "I'm having a baby..."

We spend the next half an hour sitting by a roaring fire, trying to make Gavroche understand what this means. He's never experienced this before. He's never known a baby, never mind a woman pregnant with one. This is a brand-new experience for him. Without going in to the details of how a baby comes into being, we try to explain what this means, and why we came to the convent. I let him place his hand on the baby bump, and he sits by me, staring at the bump in amazement.

"So...there's a baby...in there?" He stares at my stomach, wide-eyed as he points at it. I nod. "And it's your baby?" I nod again. "And Enjolras' baby?"

"Yes", I smile softly.

"Can it hear me speaking?" He beams.

"I don't know. Maybe", I smirk.

"What if I do this?" He brings his face closer to the bump, speaking louder and slower than before. "Can you hear me in there?" This elicits laughter from Courfeyrac and Valjean as they listen and watch. "Do you know when it will be born?" Gavroche turns his attention back to me, full to the brim with questions.

"In a few months", I respond.

"Do you know if it's a boy or a girl?"

"I have no idea".

"Have you picked a name?"

"Not yet".

"Can I help pick a name?" He gasps eagerly.

"If you want to", I smile. "You can help with the baby as much as you like when he or she arrives", I place my hand on my bump, moving my hand over it back and forth.

"Does that mean I get to be a big brother?" Gavroche asks.

"I guess it does", I laugh lightly.

"But you can't tell anyone, Gavroche. It's a secret", Courfeyrac instructs him.

"Why?" He asks innocently.

"Some people might not be as pleased about it as we are", I reply. "You, and me, Monsieur Valjean, Courfeyrac and Maggie are the only people on the whole earth who know", I try to make it sound a lot more exciting than it is for his benefit.

"Did Enjolras know?" Gavroche tilts his head to one side, as if he's processing all this information and pondering it in deep thought.

"...No..." My lip twitches slightly at the thought, threatening to make my voice quiver, but I try to swallow the emotion that is trying to rise. "He didn't..."

"I'm sure he knows now though. He'll be looking down on us feeling proud as ever", Courfeyrac sounds over-enthusiastic, trying to soften the blow for Gavroche.

"Does Marius know?" Gavroche continues with his questions.

"No. Neither does Grandfather, or Auntie, or anyone else at home. And I don't want them to know. Not until the baby is born", I try to explain. But I can tell just by looking in his eyes that he doesn't quite grasp why we can't tell them.

"But wouldn't they be happy and excited?" He wrinkles his nose in confusion.

"Maybe...I don't know. But Grandfather might be a little angry about it too. You remember how angry he used to be with Marius. I don't want him to be that angry with me", I try to speak in a way he might understand. "And sometimes, when a baby isn't planned or isn't wanted..." I try to choose my words carefully. "Sometimes people can try to make sure the baby isn't born at all. But, this baby is a gift from God. God knew I would need this baby when we lost Enjolras. Having the baby in secret means that I can keep the baby safe from anyone who might want to hurt it –"

"But who would want to hurt the baby?" Gavroche asks, horrified that anyone might even think such a thing.

"Hopefully no-one. That's why we're keeping it a secret. It'll be harder for anyone to be angry once they see an actual baby instead of my bump..." I reply. "No-one can be angry at a baby", I try to smile. Gavroche places a hand on my bump, and strokes it gently.

"I won't let anyone hurt you...ever", he whispers to the baby bump, as if the baby could hear and understand everything he was saying. "And I'll be the best secret keeper that ever lived".