Chapter Thirty-Five

I rush around the outside of our house and around the corner to the grounds beneath my bedroom window. As I prepare myself to call Enjolras down, I turn the corner to see Enjolras' backside hanging out of my window, his legs dangling in the air.

"Enjolras!" I whisper angrily. "You were meant to wait!"

"I'm stuck!" He hisses.

"What?" I snort as a laugh escapes without warning.

"Don't laugh!" He warns me, but the giggles can't help from leaving my mouth, and I lift my hand to my mouth to stifle them, but it just makes things worse.

"I'm not laughing..." I try to hide it.

"You are!"

"I'm not..." I can't stop myself from smiling.

"It's not funny!"

"A little bit..." I chuckle, then try to regain my composure, swallowing my laughter. "Wait...no...you're right..." But the giggles come again. "It's not funny..."

"Juliette!"

"Sorry..." I swallow them again. "Look, can you just wiggle around or something? To free yourself? I don't really know how you've managed to get stuck –"

"Not helping, Juliette!"

"Just wiggle!" I call him to him as quietly as I can. He starts to squirm around, managing to free himself a little, so that he is now holding onto the window ledge with his hands, his chest resting on the ledge. "You're just going to have to jump, I think..."

"I am not jumping!" He scoffs.

"Wow...the leader of the revolution isn't afraid to die...but he IS scared of jumping from a window? Not as fearless as I thought!" I joke.

"I'm not afraid...I'd just rather...climb down...that's all!" He retorts.

"Very convincing, Enjolras", I smile as he starts to try and find his footing on the wall. He finally finds it, and in a few minutes, jumps from two feet up the wall and down to the ground.

"See...I jumped..." He smiles at me as if he's won the debate.

"It was hardly a jump, it was two fe –" I start, but get interrupted by Enjolras pressing his lips against mine.

"I needed to get down safely so that I could do that", he smiles, taking my hand.

"I very much enjoyed watching you climb down that wall. You are like something out of a fairytale", I laugh.

"What? You mean climbing the tower to reach the fair maiden?" He jokes.

"See! Fairytale!" I beam.

"And you're my Princess..."

To avoid being seen by my Grandfather, we run as fast as we can through the grounds of the estate. Suddenly Enjolras crouches down.

"What are you doing?" I ask, out of breath from the running.

"Get on my back", he says quickly.

"I'll be okay", I try to regain my breath.

"Get on my back!" He says, his voice sounding slightly more firm. I step toward him and wrap my arms around his neck. He takes a hold of my legs, holding me in place, and then stands up and bolts down the lawn. I can't help but squeal.