Chapter Twenty-One

"I could ask you the same thing!" He blurts out nervously.

"But you kissed me first!" I exclaim back.

"It was a distraction, remember?!" He states. I raise an eyebrow and fold my arms, telling him that I'm not buying it. He looks at me, returning the stare until he finally breaks. "Fine...you want the real reason?" He flings an arm in the air, taking a deep breath. "I just wanted to know what it would be like..." He admits.

"...You what?" I struggle to get just those two words out, completely taken aback by his confession.

"You, Juliette Pontmercy, are one of the most frustrating, infuriating and exasperating women I have ever met. You wind me up like no-one else can, and you have managed to get under my skin. I don't know how you've done it, but you have figured out in just a couple of days exactly which buttons to push to get me annoyed. You are outspoken, stubborn, sassy, strong-willed, and argumentative –"

"Excuse me?!" I manage to spit out, trying to control my rage.

"Will you let me finish?!" He raises his voice. "You interrupt me all the time, you challenge me on everything that I do...and I haven't been able to get you out of my mind...There's something about you, Juliette...you're different from every other woman that I've ever come across...and I just wanted to know what it would be like to kiss you..." I stand there in stunned silence. He looks at my face, letting out the breath he has been holding in.

"...I see..." is all I can say in reply as I grasp to reach for the gate behind me to steady my balance as I take this all in.

"...Because you...Juliette Pontmercy...are quite unlike anyone I've ever met..." He smiles softly as he gazes into my eyes.

"Is that meant to be a compliment? Because you've just listed a lot of very unattractive qualities there –"

"Just take the compliment, Juliette!" he answers quickly. "You are not...unattractive...at all..." He takes a step towards me and rests a hand on the gate behind me.

"Thank you...I guess..." I smile weakly. But Enjolras just looks at me, his stare lingering. There's an awkward silence as he just looks at me, and I start to feel self-conscious. He starts to move a little closer towards me, his face getting nearer mine.

"Uhm...did you have another question or –?" I try to laugh, trying to lighten the mood and make it slightly less uncomfortable, trying to use humour to mask my nerves.

"...Can I kiss you again?" He asks softly.

"But I thought you said I was frustrating, infuriating, exasperating and outspoken, argumentative –" I sound a lot more bitter and hurt than I intended.

"Don't make me ask again, Juliette..." He says lowly.

"But...why?! You clearly don't like me –"

"You're right!" Now he's the one that sounds annoyed and bitter. "...I don't like you!"

"Well good! Because I don't like you either! You're just as stubborn as I am, you're just as sassy as I am, you're big-headed, I'm surprised you can fit your ego inside the Café Musain doors, you're bossy, you're a know-it-all –" He takes a breath and then looks right at me.

"I love you –"

"You what?!" I exclaim.

"I don't just like you...I love you! See, we can't even do that right! I didn't expect us to be arguing when I decided to tell you that I love you!"

"But –" I try to speak.

"See! You're doing it again! Let me finish!" He speaks above me.

"Okay...I'll shut up" I say quietly. He takes another breath and then looks at me, before taking a step toward me again.

"You are all of those things that I said –"

"Well thanks, you really know how to charm a girl –" I mutter sarcastically.

"Juliette", he raises an eyebrow, reminding me that I'd said I'd be quiet.

"Sorry, carry on" I say quickly.

"You are all those things...but you're also caring, and strong, you have a mind of your own, you think for yourself, you're educated, and loving, and you just...you light up the room when you walk in. The Café Musain, and the people in it, hasn't been the same since you arrived...I haven't felt this way about anyone before...there's just something about you, Juliette...you're incredible..." He looks at me, and I stand there with my mouth open in disbelief. No words escape from my mouth. "So there...I said it...so you know, laugh, make fun of me, whatever..." He shrugs and runs a hand through his hair, resting his hand on the back of his head. I still don't say anything, trying to process the last few minutes. He lets out a slight, weary laugh. "I guess we've finally found the way to shut you up...The one time I need you to say something, and you don't –" He looks down at the ground again.

"I love you too..." I blurt. His head snaps up from staring at the ground and he looks at me, his eyes widening as he hears my words.

"You do?" He steps towards me again.

"...I do..." I say softly as I let out a small, nervous smile.

"But...all those things you said about my ego, and my stubbornness –"

"They were all true –" I say, making him roll his eyes. "See, there's the sass", I joke. "But you wouldn't be Enjolras without them...and I love Enjolras..." He smiles, blushing slightly, and I like seeing this side of Enjolras – the vulnerable, sensitive Enjolras, far from the brave, fearless Leader that he puts on public display.

"So..." He starts, and then doesn't finish the sentence.

"So...?" I ask confused, trying to mentally finish the sentence in my head.

"So..." He carries on, moving closer to me. "...I'll ask you again...Can I kiss you again, Juliette?" He places his hands on my waist and smiles warmly and gently.

"...Yes..." I smile back as my stomach does a little flip at the feel of Enjolras' arms around me. "...you can..." He leans in slowly, and kisses me softly. We both smile in the kiss, and he moves away, resting his forehead against mine. "...Burgundy Boy..."

"...Barricade Girl..." He whispers back.

"You know that counts as your tenth question, right?" I laugh. He smiles before kissing me again.

"It was worth it..."