Chapter Ninety-Three

"We therefore commit this body to the ground", the Minister gently proclaims to the small crowd that has gathered for Valjean's burial in the grounds of the Abbey that he treasured so much. The Abbey that had changed the course of his life, and thus the lives of everyone gathered around his coffin. Cosette weeps into a handkerchief, Marius holding tightly to her arm. She steps forward to lay a rose on Valjean's coffin, giving the men their cue to lower it into the ground. I sniff back my own tears and feel Enjolras' grip tighten on my hand. I look over to Maggie and Madame Houcheloup, who stand slightly further back, watching onward as they cradle a baby each after they had kindly offered to watch the twins so that neither Enjolras nor I were distracted during the service. The Nuns all stand by, dabbing their eyes, singing and praying softly. "Earth to earth, ashes to ashes, dust to dust; in sure and certain hope of the Resurrection to eternal life. Amen", the Minister finishes.

"Amen", we all echo. The crowd one by one pay their respects before politely dispersing. I approach Cosette who before I even reach her takes one look at me before collapsing into tears.

"Oh sweetheart", I whisper as she sobs on my shoulder.

"I'm sorry", she sobs. "I'm getting my tears on your dress", she dabs at my shoulder.

"Oh no, don't worry about that", I smile at her sympathetically. "I'm so sorry for your loss, Cosette. Your Father would be so proud of you", I squeeze her shoulder.

"Thank you..." She clutches me again. "Thank you for all you did for him...for us".

"You're welcome", I reply softly, choking back my own tears.

"I'll see you back at the Abbey", she says, before taking Marius' arm and starting their walk back to the Abbey. Enjolras offers me his arm, and I take it, as a familiar voice grabs our attention.

"It was a touching service", the voice says.

"Arnaud", my jaw drops. I feel Enjolras tense up, and I place my free hand on his arm, willing him to keep his cool.

"Juliette, it's good to see you again", Victoria politely chimes in, stretching her arms out to offer me a hug. "I am so sorry for your loss though".

"Thank you. It's good to see you too...even under these circumstances", I reply, returning her hug.

"Why did you come?" Enjolras stares Arnaud down, his jaw clenching slightly.

"To pay our respects..." Arnaud doesn't back down from his stare. "And to ask for your forgiveness", he pleads.

"My forgiveness?" For a moment, I worry that Enjolras' eyes will fall out of his head at the very suggestion of forgiving Arnaud. Considering the last time the two had met was at opposite sides of a gun, forgiveness seems like a stretch too far.

"I have spent the days since...since...that night desperately trying to make things right", Arnaud earnestly explains. Enjolras offers no reply. "I realise there are things that I can't make right. I can't bring back the lives that were tragically lost. But I want to be better. And I want you to know I am truly sorry. If there is any way that I can repay you –" Without warning, Enjolras cuts off his words with a gesture that even I never expected. Enjolras envelops Arnaud in a tight hug, stunning Arnaud into silence, as if the wind has been knocked out of him. After holding on for a few seconds, Enjolras pats his back before breaking the hug and offering a pat to the arm, while he coughs to hide his own awkwardness and embarrassment.

"Today isn't the day for a fight..." Enjolras responds with a seriousness that reminds me of the fearless and strong leader I first met in the Café Musain. I can see the crisis happening in his mind. Trying to decide how to react – whether he should hold Arnaud in perpetual contempt for the rest of his days as repayment for the loss of his dear friends and brothers in arms, or whether to respond with mercy. Usually, I can read Enjolras like a book, but this situation was unprecedented. "But...Juliette also told me all that you did. About the hospital. And the things you did to help her. And to help save Gavroche. You saved my wife. And my children wouldn't be here if you hadn't, you know, done what you did. So...thank you...for that. Uh...clean slate...we move on. We move forward..." He coughs again, trying to supress his own emotion.

"Thank you, Monsieur", Arnaud responds, the genuine regret and relief evident in his voice in equal measure. "Thank you". They shake hands. "We better return home", Arnaud adds after a short pause, ending the lingering awkwardness that we are all feeling at this needful but uncomfortable exchange.

"We must get together sometime soon", Victoria smiles sweetly.

"Yes", I try to smile back convincingly. "That would be good".

"Good to see you, Juliette", Arnaud offers me a polite kiss on my cheek, as he always has. "And congratulations", he adds, having not seen me since I'd given birth. "You were made for this", he smiles.

"Thank you, Arnaud", I smile as best I can muster. We each exchange as warm as goodbye as can be in this circumstance, and Arnaud and Victoria walk away. Enjolras stands in silence, and just looks at me, the words not really coming. My own mouth stands slightly open in bewilderment at what has just taken place and what I've just witnessed.

"Juliette, I..." He starts, but I can't help myself, and I reach up and kiss him.

"Thank you", I whisper, his forehead resting against mine as I hold his face in my hands. "Thank you for showing him mercy. I am so...so proud. I know that will have taken a lot..." I look him right in the eyes.

"Oh, I am still full of rage about that night", he assures me. "But my love for you is stronger than any anger I have toward him. He saved you, and that's all that matters..." He kisses me once more, before taking my hands in his. And the phrase he says next – the phrase that I once never thought I'd ever get to hear him say – fills my heart, reminding me once again of how lucky we are to be alive, and to have each other: "Let's go home..."