Chapter Seventy-Nine

The days pass, and we ring in a New Year, staying up until midnight at the convent in the company of our convent family and Madame Houcheloup, who had joined us for the celebrations. The nuns rush to hug Gavroche as the clock chimes midnight, Courfeyrac shakes Monsieur Valjean's hand before hugging him warmly. I think of all that has happened in the last year – how drastically my life has changed. This time last year, I was single, and completely unaware of the existence of a curly haired, blue eyed revolutionary leader and his band of brothers. My mind can't help but wander to those we leave behind, their presence staying firmly in the year they left us, not passing in to this New Year with us. I think of my brother, and Grandfather; of my Aunt and Maggie; and of Cosette. All ringing in the New Year in a different house to us, and most likely thinking of us in the same way that we're thinking of them. My eyes meet Valjean's and I see the same pain mirrored in his eyes.

"I'm thinking of them too..." He hugs me tightly. "Happy New Year, Miss Juliette. A fresh start", he says, trying to put a positive spin on things. He gestures to my stomach. "Change is coming this year. Miracles will happen. God will move."

The snow disappears as Winter melts into Spring, the promise of new life hanging in the air. Flowers start to appear through the soil. The grass becomes greener. The leaves begin to blossom on the trees again. And inside me, a new life flourishes. My stomach has grown so large that I struggle to move very far. Courfeyrac helps me as much as he can, and Gavroche acts as gently as he can around me. Valjean prays with me and for me and the baby often. I am ever thankful for his presence in my life and for his counsel. Madame Houcheloup looks after me, still attending to me on her weekly check-ups with me. She brings me news from home. She even brings me Marius and Cosette's wedding invitation.

"Three weeks' time", I sigh aloud, massaging my aching belly as I read the invitation.

"What are you going to do?" Madame asks me as she takes off her coat, hanging it up. "Let me look at you", she instructs as she comes toward me to perform the regular check-ups she carries out on me every time she comes.

"I don't know. I was hoping the baby would be here before then. But if the baby isn't here...I don't know what I'll do. Grandfather can't see me like this..." I wince at the slight pain at the base of my back.

"Well, I've seen plenty of pregnancies in my time, and going by the size of your bump, I'd say you'll have your baby in your arms by then", she smiles as she feels at my stomach.

"I hope so..." I wince again, but this time, the pain escapes in the form of a noise from my mouth. "Ouch..."

"What's wrong?" Madame leans back, looking at me with a knowing look on her face.

"Ow..." I grimace, taking a deep breath so I can answer. "It's nothing..." I reply as I try to massage my lower back. "I've just been having a bit of pain, that's all", I try to wave it off like it's no big deal, but the pain has been unbearable all morning. It's the fear of knowing what this pain means that stops me from wanting to tell Madame.

"How long has it been like this?" She slowly stands up, before rolling up her sleeves, as if she already knows what my answer is going to be.

"...Last night..." I reluctantly reply. The pain comes back worse than before. "Ow!" I seethe as I grip my back in pain. And then there's a small splash. My eyes widen at the noise, dreading what's going to happen next. Madame's eyes are just as wide as mine, and a smile wipes itself across her face, a look of excitement in her eyes. We both look down. My waters have broken.

"It's time..." She whispers. "It's time!" She looks back and me and claps her hands together. "Courfeyrac! Valjean!" She yells at the top of her voice as she starts to get me changed from my dress and into my nightgown. Courfeyrac and Valjean come rushing in, and she looks at them. "It's time! The baby's coming!"