Chapter 12: Sleep

Kakashi's voice rang out from behind me, "How'd I know that you'd be hiding out here instead of sleeping?" His footsteps halted, "You. Get your filthy hands off her!"

Kanaye smirked, "Or what, little boy?"

Kakashi strutted over and pulled me protectively into his chest and away from Kanaye's grasp. I melted into him and shook like a leaf.

Kakashi's tone was terrifyingly calm, "What are you doing here?"

"Perusing my selection."

Kakashi pulled me to him tighter, "You're the one behind those kidnappings then, I'd assume."

The older man smirked, "What gave me away?"

"A hunch. Were you the one behind the incident in the Land of Rice Patties all those years ago as well?"

"Nope," Kanaye smiled. "But, their business model was quite effective so I decided to follow it." He looked between Kakashi and I, "So you're still chasing after her, I see, all these years later. So foolish, I know a hopeless cause when I see one."

With that he poofed away.

"Kaiyo, are you alright? What happened?"

I buried my face into the tall collar of his haori, "Do I look like my mother?"

"What? Where did that come from?"

"Ka-Kanaye told me that I look just like my mother now so I was just wondering..."

"You're nothing like your mother."

"You say that all the time, but you never give any evidence."

"Well, for one, your mother would never even think about having this conversation. Come on, you really should get some sleep." He reached down and looped one of his arms under my knees picking me up.

"Kakashi, what in god's name are you doing?"

He didn't say anything, instead he just transported us to the Hokage's residence, leaving behind a puff of smoke. "I'm sorry, but I don't feel safe leaving you alone in your apartment tonight, for obvious reasons."

He walked inside and deposited me on his bed.

"Now sleep. I'm going to contact the ANBU and circulate a description of Kanaye's appearance."

"Where are you going to sleep?"

"I have a couch. Your sleep is much more important." Kakashi walked forward and pulled the covers farther up like he was tucking in a small child, "Now go to sleep." His fingers lingered on the edge of duvet for a couple of seconds before he withdrew them and stalked out of the room, closing the door behind him.

"Good night, Kashi," I whispered to the empty room.