Chapter 33: If I Say Run, You Run

"He just turned the corner." I turned away from the door and Anzu and Bijonko nodded. It was time to make our move.

I pulled open the door quietly, and my two companions rushed out before I shut the door behind us. The corpse of the experimenter was safely stowed out of sight, and in the darkness, the carefully placed sheets gave the appearance of Bijonko's silhouette strapped in place.

Sticking close to the walls, I led the way down the long passageway as Bijonko whispered instructions. I knew that rescuing her would prove to be invaluable.

"Turn left up here, it will take us a little longer, but that wing isn't being used. We are less likely to run into guards."

I nodded and followed her directions. Our faint footsteps echoed off the walls as we traversed the empty hallway.

"Go straight at the next intersection, and then I'm fairly certain that going to the right will get us pretty close to the entrance. I'm not too sure though, they never let me get too close to the outside even when they were leading me around to different experimentation sites."

"Well, based on the internal map of the place that I'm making, I think that you're right." I led us farther down the hall, "Now, we will most likely run across guards at the exit, and probably leading up to it as well. Get ready to run ahead of me. I can't run, but I can still defend myself better than you two since I'm a ninja. Remember, if you run into the Hokage, make sure to tell him to leave me behind and that this is a trap."

I could see it in their eyes that leaving me behind in this enemy infested hole was not something that they liked to think about.

Anzu looked at me with a bright smile suddenly covering her features, "Can't you just do that thing that you did to our guards? Because they're dead, but you couldn't tell!"

I shook my head, "I only had two senbon, and it takes too much chakra for me to use that jutsu on a large scale. Just stick close to me and follow my lead. And if I say run, you run as fast as you can and don't look back."

They gave a curt nod, and I turned back to the path leading to freedom.

I looked down the hallway, carefully poking my head out around the corner. I could see the doors that marked the exit  to the path up out of the underground lair, and there were two guards standing by it. I pressed myself up against the wall into the shadows as the patrol walked by. I poked my head back out around the corner and looked at the long, spear-like weapons that they were holding. I could use those to my advantage.

One of the guards turned to say something to his fellow gatekeeper, and I charged. Going as fast as my bad hip would allow, I stuck my thin knife between the ribs of the one who was talking while I grabbed the spear from his hands. I planted the spear behind him, and hung the back of his shirt off of the top of it so that it held his now dead body upright. I was so fast that the other guard blinked in surprise before reaching for his own weapon. Without letting him have time to raise the alarm, I drove my knife up under his chin into the soft flesh there, and grabbed his spear to prop up his dead body like I had done for the other gatekeeper. This would only work from a distance. Any sort of examination would make it very obvious that they were blood-soaked, dead, and being forced to stand by their weaponry. I just hoped that it would be enough to buy us time some time. However, the next patrol that came by would definitely raise the alarm when he saw the gruesome display that I left behind.

Whipping back out my lock picks, I opened the door in record time as Anzu and Bijonko ran up behind me. Together we slipped through the door and I closed it behind us, jamming the now broken locking mechanism. I couldn't believe that we had made it this far without a single problem.