Chapter 32: The Great Escape

Without even a click, the lock came undone. What can I say? I used to do a lot of reconnaissance missions before I became a jounin and a member of the Strategy Unit. With a subtle wave of my hand, Anzu took position. The moment that the patrol was out of the way, Anzu began to crack the door as I ran through a flurry of hand signs while whispering under my breath, "Ninja art: Corpse Puppet Jutsu." The senbon glowed a light blue with my chakra as I threw them through the small gap between the door and the wall. One senbon to one giant guard, my aim was true and they hit the base of their heads, sinking deep into their brain stems until only a tiny glint of metal was visible. Oroka and Ouki died the instant that the chakra laden senbon went through their medula. I lifted up my left hand with my forefinger and middle finger being the only digits extended as I whispered, "Freeze."

The guards didn't even have time to start slumping over as the chakra from my Corpse Puppet Jutsu held their bodies rigid.

Alright, thirty seconds gone, nine and half minutes left before we needed to be out of this hallway. Anzu slipped out of the door, closing it quietly behind us as I looked for any sign of medical staff. We seemed to be in the clear so I dashed to the room across the hall and quickly went to work with my lock picks. In a minute and thirty seconds, the complex mechanism popped open with a click. I didn't have the luxury to take the time to be quiet. Anzu and I slipped into the room, shutting the door behind us. If someone decided to walk down the hallway right now, they wouldn't be able to tell that we were gone. Even looking into our cell they'd see the stuffed facsimiles on our cots.

I looked around the room and as my eyes began to adjust to the dark space, the only thing that I could clearly see were a pair of blood red eyes glowing out of the darkness while looking at us with curious intelligence.

That's when I heard heels clicking down the hallway. I recognized those footfalls as none other than the man who had been checking up on the strange woman when we were led through the hallway earlier. I gave Anzu a squeeze on the shoulder, and she had the sense to step backwards into the shadows. I crept into a dark shadow near the door on the same side as the hinge.

The man wearing scrubs stuck his key in the door and gave it a twist, not even realizing that it was already unlocked and that the locking mechanism itself was now broken. Not my best lock picking work ever, but I was in a rush. Luckily, the experimenter hadn't even noticed.

The idiot threw the door open and flicked on the light. I saw Anzu crouched under a small table, pretty well hidden, and I was between the door and the wall. As soon as he shut the door behind him, going as quickly and stealthily as I could move on my hip, I came up behind him. I put one hand over his mouth to smoother his cries and slit his throat with my left hand bearing the thin knife. I lowered him to the ground and then limped over to the woman strapped down to the bed. With a few quick strokes of the blade what was sharp in a way that only chakra infusion could achieve, I cut through her bindings like they were hot butter.

I offered my hand to her as she pulled herself up.

"Hello, I'm Kaiyo and this is Anzu, what's your name?"

"Bijonko. Now tell me, what drove two crazy people attempting to escape to free an insane, failed experiment?"

I smiled, "But, you're not insane or a failure, are you?"

"True, true. But, letting them think that I was an insane failure was the best way that I could stay alive. Now tell me, what really made you come and save me?"

"Well, other than the fact that I figured that you'd like to get out of here as much if not more than we do, I knew that I'd need someone with more knowledge about this place than I have."

She looked out the window of the door as she turned back off the light and her pale blue hair glowed in the darkness. "Well then, in that case, I suggest that we wait until the patrol passes by again as it seems that your guards are still in place."

"Yes, we have about thirty minutes until the chakra holding them upright runs out and about two and half hours now before the Hokage arrives here."

"The Hokage?"

"Yes, he's a dear friend of mine, and I'm the bait luring him in."

She nodded, "Hm, that's troubling. But, we really should wait until the next guard does his round before we leave this room."

I nodded, "Yeah..."

We sat there in silence for several minutes with nothing but the smell of blood from the fallen experimenter to fill the quiet. That is, until Bijonko asked a question.

"How'd you figure it out? How did you know that I wasn't a failed experiment?"

"Because that 'darkness from the past' was my mother."