Chapter 34: I'm the Bait

We left the jammed door behind us and started back out of the hideout. Sunlight was filtering from around a bend in the tunnel. As I turned the corner to freedom, I ran into a wall that shouldn't have been there. I was even more surprised when the wall reached out and hugged me.

When I looked up, I was both elated and terrified to see piercing grey eyes and a mop of unruly, silver hair. "Kakashi, what are you doing here? You're two hours early, and you're always late for everything!"

"Oh my god, Kaiyo, I was so worried!" He looked down at me strangely, "What do you mean I'm early?"

"I thought that you'd at least wait until ten to check my apartment."

"What? When you weren't at the office by eight I rushed right over to your home, and then I found the candle and cards and set out immediately."

I pulled away from his hug, "Damn it, I didn't take you being a worrywart into consideration. But, we need to get out of here right now. Please tell me that you brought back-up."

"I'm not completely incompetent even though I didn't keep to your secret schedule. Naruto, Sakura, Yamato, and Sai are here as well. They're positioned outside. Kaiyo, what's going on?"

"Let's walk and talk. You need to get out of here right now."

"Huh?"

"This is trap, Kakashi! This is a trap, and I'm the bait!" Kakashi blinked at me in confusion, but before I could say anything more, a silky, disgusting voice rang out from in front of us.

"And what good bait you were too. I must admit that I'm surprised that you figured out that the Hokage was my target and that you were able to make it this far in your little escape. However, this is your last stop." Kanaye walked out of the shadows, and Oreikoku followed dutifully behind him.

He smiled at me as the outside was illuminated behind him. Kanaye stood between us and freedom.

"Shit. I'm guessing that this is the ambush that you set up for Kakashi?"

"Right again, little Kaiyo. Your deduction skills are really quite impressive. Let's see, what do we have to deal with here... A cripple, an orphan, a failed experiment, and a ninja past his prime."

I turned to look at Anzu and Bijonko, "Remember what I said? As soon as you see an opening, you run. Get out of here, and once you're outside, look for a loud ninja wearing orange. That's Naruto. Tell him to get his butt in here right away." Sakura was going have to kill me because I had a feeling that before this battle was over, I was going to have to use the Eight Inner Gates.