Chapter 18: A Former Associate

We were standing in front of a quaint building with rows of windows and a red roof. Off to the side there was construction, and it was clear that the facility was expanding.

"Well, this is it," Kakashi said while putting his pervert book back into his weapons pouch.

"I guess so. It's a lot nicer than I had thought that an orphanage in the woods run by an ex-evil-snake-dude would be." I looked over the large building curiously. It was definitely not the creepy structure that I had imagined. I almost felt a little let down. Instead of the horror movie material that I had counted on, there was a simple, but nice, building in a beautiful part of the forest.

A smooth voice rang out of the open doorway, "What were you expecting, a dump?"

"Um, no?" I looked over that the speaker. He had white, scaly skin and dark, intelligent eyes. In front of that he had on large, round glass and had his grey hair pulled back into a low ponytail. He was a bit creepy looking, but he did not appear to be the all-powerful psychopath that I had been promised.

He walked forward, "I'm Kabuto Yakushi."

I shook his hand, "Kaiyo Nakahara."

Kabuto turned to the Hokage, "I have to admit, I was quite surprised when you replied saying that you'd be coming in person, Kakashi."

Kakashi just scratched the back of his neck a little awkwardly, "Well, I've taken a personal interest in this case. So what is it that you needed to talk to us about?"

"Here, why don't you come inside?"

Kabuto starting to walk back inside, and Kakashi gestured to the open door, "After you."

I shot a glare at his attempted chivalry and walked in after Kabuto.

Kakashi and I sat across from Kabuto's desk with a platter of tea and biscuits between the three of us. I had to admit, this place was way nicer than I had expected. It was really bright and clean, what a let down.

Kabuto took a sip of tea, "Have either of you heard of a man named Kanaye Shourai?"

"Yes." Kakashi and I said in unison.

Kabuto's eyebrows shot up in surprise, "Really?"

I glared down at my lap, "He and my mother were-were..." The words died in my throat, but Kabuto seemed to understand as he nodded and took another sip of tea.

Kakashi leaned forward, "So how do you know Kanaye?"

Kabuto sighed, "Back when I worked under Orochimaru, Kanaye was one of my associates who I worked with closely in my research."

"If I may ask," I interrupted feeling slightly guilty, "what research was he helping you with?"

"Kanaye was trying to figure out a way to see into the future using genjutsu. It was a good theory, but we could never find out a way to make it feasible. He was also obsessed with earning money, but never for himself. He said that he was raising funds for his benefactor, though he never revealed the identity of this mystery person. However, he'd use 'she' while discussing this benefactor of his so I'd assume that they're female."

My eyes widened and I turned to Kakashi, "You don't think that this 'she' could be the same woman that Sasainako mentioned before she died, do you?"

Kakashi shrugged, "It's a possibility, but there's no way to be sure."

I turned back to Kabuto, "Have you ever heard of a woman named Sasainako Fukushu?"

Kabuto nodded, "She came seeking power from Orochimaru, but they weren't able to reach an agreement, and that was years ago when I had first joined him."

Kakashi crossed his arms, "I've been wondering, why did you reach out to us about these kidnappings?"

Kabuto set his teacup down on the desk, "It's only a matter of time before Kanaye targets my orphanage for his next victims, and that's something that I won't let happen."

Kakashi did not seem convinced, "You held your own against the two Uchiha brothers; I didn't think that Kanaye would be a problem for you."

"No, I'm confident in my ability to defeat him in battle, but even I make oversights. Also, don't underestimate him; he's quite the formidable opponent."

I was done dancing around the important topics, "Do you have any intel about the current situation?"

"Yes." Kabuto reached into his desk and removed a scroll. "This is everything that I have on Kanaye. I didn't trust a simple summon to deliver this to the village for fear that Kanaye could get his hands on this intel so I decided to deliver it in person." Kakashi grabbed the scroll and stowed it away safely. "Enclosed are all his hideouts which I know about as well as all of the old hideout's of Orochimaru's that he could be using. It'd be just like him to repurpose. I have also included all of his former research topics along with what I know of his history. I hope that combined with the intel that you already have on him, you'll be able to track Kanaye down."

Kakashi stood up, "Thank you, Kabuto, we will let you know if we get any leads on him."

I looked between the two of them, and despite their friendly actions towards each other now, I could tell that they had spent a long time battling against one another. You could see it in the way that they'd tense up whenever the other made a sudden move. Their brains may have been convinced into trusting each other, but their body's hadn't gotten the memo.

I stood up as well, and since I've never been one for tact, I decided to ask Kabuto exactly what was on my mind. "Kabuto, why do you care about this orphanage so much?"

Without even pausing to think, he replied, "It is my identity. I grew up as a spy and lived many different lies throughout my life, but this is the person who I'm meant to be. I am my true self in this orphanage, and I won't let Kanaye ruin it."

I shrugged; the answer was good enough for me. "We'll let you know if there are any new developments."

Kabuto walked us out of the building, and I saw glimpses of little children playing together in the different rooms.

"I'm guessing the majority of them are war orphans?" I stared at a tiny child being looked after by kind looking man, probably the person who co-ran the orphanage with Kabuto.

"Yes. There are many, and that's why we're expanding. There simply isn't enough room for everyone in this one building."

I nodded. Kabuto had done a lot of horrendous things in his day, but now he had turned his life around and was making up for his mistakes. I admired him for that.