Chapter 43: It's a Long Story

I flicked on the light of my apartment, and Anzu uncurled herself from my lap like a cat.

Sighing as I shut and locked the door behind me, I rubbed my nose, "I've always hated how the elevator smells. It's like cabbages, Clorox, and old people."

Anzu nodded, "It is pretty gross."

"So, this is my apartment. I'm guessing that the last time that you were here, you didn't get a great tour of the place so I'll show you around."

She followed dutifully behind me until I stopped by the final door on the tour. Not that it was a very long tour. I mean, I just have a joined kitchen and living room, my bedroom with it's attached bathroom, the spare bedroom, the bathroom that's shared between the spare room and the main part of the apartment, and a laundry room (which is really just a closet with a washer and dryer crammed inside).

"So this is going to be your room. We'll have to change it up some, though, because I have all of my filing cabinets in there right now."

"You really work a lot, don't you?"

"Well, I used to work about twenty hours a day to keep my mind off things, but I think that I'm finally going to let Kakashi hire more people for my unit so that I can work like a normal person."

"What do you do?"

"I run the Strategy Unit. All of the Leaf's missions, weapons manufacturing orders, security measures, and urgent reports go through my division."

"No wonder you worked twenty hours a day."

"Yep." We made our way back to the seating area near the front of the flat.

Anzu pointed to the pictures on my desk, "Who are these people?"

I sighed, it was only natural for her to be curious. Dad, Sakumo, Shikaku, and Toukuro all gazed back at the inquiring girl as I started to roll my way into the kitchen.

"Here, let me make some tea first. It's a long story."