Chapter 29: Mothers

"This can't be happening." I felt sick. I felt like I was going to throw up. "The Nine-tails killed her nineteen years ago."

Kanaye smiled sadistically at my emotional turmoil, "Now, if I was going to stage my death, I would do it during a huge disaster filled with lots of corpses and confusion. What happened to your mother's body?"

"It was disintegrated by the Tailed-beast Ball that was shot at the Fourth Hokage- that's a lie, isn't it? She was never hit by that attack. Dammit, how did I never see this coming?"

"You wanted your mother to be dead, it made your life easier. You wanted to think about yourself as an orphan, but you're not one."

I glared at the self-righteous asshole smirking at me, "No, I am an orphan. All of the parents that I have ever had are dead; Nori does not deserve to be counted among Dai, Sakumo, and Shikaku."

With bated breath, I waited for Kanaye to get angry at how I had insulted Nori, but he just laughed.

"So you don't consider her your mother? Funny, she doesn't consider you her daughter. Nori always hated you."

"That was pretty obvious. She couldn't have made it more clear that she hated me if she had tried." I was done with this conversation already. I had absolutely no desire to discuss my feelings with Kanaye. Leaning back in the stiff chair, I crossed my arms, making it very clear with my body language that this conversation was done.

Kanaye, however, did not want to end this topic of conversation just yet. "You know, you and little Anzu have quite a bit in common. Like you, her mother didn't want her either." I whipped around to look at Anzu, and her whole body had frozen up. Her hands were clenched so tightly that her knuckles were pure white as she trembled in rage. "What? No witty comment? Cat got your tongue, little girl?"

Anzu stepped forward mechanically like she wasn't in control of her own body. "What do you know about my mother?"

"Oh that's right, you never would have met her since she gave you away to that orphanage that you hated right after you were born." He was bating her, trying to garner a reaction. "When your mother was sixteen, she became pregnant with you, and gave you away shortly after you were born."

"Where's my mother now?"

"Dead. The pathetic woman drank herself to death four years ago." Oh boy did I want to kill Kanaye right now. The sick bastard and his mind games.

Anzu looked skeptical. "How do you even know all this?"

Kanaye pulled a file out of his desk. "When I took you from that orphanage, I also stole your classified files. From there it was only too easy to find out what had become of your dear, drunk mother."

I was ready for an emotional breakdown or screaming, but Anzu's response took me completely by surprise. However, I should have expected nothing less.

"Were you dropped on your head as a baby or were you just born sick? Because you, sir, are one disturbed piece of shit."

Kanaye just shrugged, "I don't know, why do you ask?"

"Because you disgust me."

He smiled, "There are lots of disgusting people like me in this world. Just ask Kaiyo." He turned and smirked at me. "She met one of those disgusting people just last year. Sasainako took joy in other's pain like I do, only she preferred physical pain while I find psychological pain much more interesting and gratifying. Tell me, Kaiyo, how's your hip doing after she had her little fun with it?"

I was determined not to give him the satisfaction of a real answer to his question. So instead of saying that it hurt like hell everyday, barely worked, and needed constant healing sessions with Sakura, I just shot him a bland look, "It's been better."