Chapter 36: Enough!

There was nothing more to be said. The only thing left to do was charge. Metal on metal clanged through the air as Kakashi's kunai and Oreikoku's katana collided. The racket that their fight was making reverberated off the walls of the cave and caused my ears to pound and ring. However, I could not spare them a glance as Kanaye waltzed towards me.

With the First Gate open, all of the restrictions that my mind placed on my muscle movements were removed, and I was able to move around as if I didn't have a bad hip. There were two major downsides to this, though, and the first being that it hurt like hell. I could have sworn that molten metal was pouring through the veins in the right side of my body (good thing that I'm left-handed). The other downside was that all of the strain caused by my movements created irreversible damage. Soon, even the Inner Gates wouldn't be enough when the mechanisms that moved my hip were completely destroyed. I would just have to hold out and hopefully end this before my hip was worthless.

Kanaye came at me with open hands and no weapons as we clashed. I struck out at his head with my knife, and he swatted the attack away by hitting my wrist with an open palm. As my arm flew backwards, I used the momentum to my advantage and spun around, kicking out my right leg behind me in a powerful side-kick that he just barely side-stepped. Continuing my momentum around, I brought my knife towards his neck.

Hands flying up, Kanaye placed one hand on my shoulder and the other on my wrist as the knife came to a jolting stop, centimeters from the soft flesh of his neck. I flicked out my leg to sweep his feet out from under him, but Kanaye was too fast. He wrenched my arm down so that I was facing the ground as he put an uncomfortable amount of pressure on my wrist and shoulder. I could barely keep the knife from dropping out of my hand.

"So you said that I seem to have skill with genjutsu. Let me show you just how true that is." The hand that was on my shoulder was removed and placed on the back of my head.

I entered the genjutsu world of Kanaye's creation. It reminded me of what I had heard about Itachi's Tsukuyomi jutsu, but I knew that this one would be proportional to the actual passage of time since Kanaye didn't have the mangekyo sharingan. Despite this, things were not looking in my favor.

I held up two fingers and closed my eyes as I attempted to completely stop my chakra flow and release myself from the confines of the jutsu.

"Release."

Nothing happened, and Kanaye's laughter rang out all around me.

"Did you really think that I'd make a genjutsu so weak that you could escape it that easily?"

With a sigh, I decided to survey my surroundings since it seemed that I wasn't going to break the genjutsu the standard way. I was standing on black ground, and the sky above me was a blood red. That's when the world flew past me even though I was standing still. It made me slightly motion sick until the movement of the world stopped again.

I was now in my old home and looking at my five-year-old self standing in the doorway. My dad was kneeling in front of the younger me and handing the child a small, green yo-yo. I reached out towards him even though I knew this was a genjutsu.

The world flew past me again, and I watched as my dad became a small spot on the horizon. Forever out of reach.

The dizzying movement stopped in a small office. There were three people laughing and flipping through paperwork. The seventeen-year-old version of me smirked and put a dab of ink on Toukuro's nose. As he blushed bright red and smeared it all over his face in an attempt to wipe it off, the young me clutched her sides with laughter. Shikaku looked up from the scroll that he was reading and laughed at us like we were two troublesome children that he just loved to take care of.

The scene flew away again until I was back in the red and black void where the genjutsu had started. I knew what Kanaye was trying do. Yes, it made me sad to see the people that I loved disappear again, but I knew that this wasn't real. Kanaye was just trying to make me lose my cool, and I wouldn't give him the sick satisfaction of getting to see me react.

This resolve ended, however, as Kanaye showed just what a cruel bastard he was.

Like I was watching a screen, I saw Dad running through the trees with his three teammates around him. Kunai were flying out of everywhere and embedding themselves in trees all around the retreating Leaf Ninja. Several tore the clothes of the running men, but most were barely dodged. That is, until a kunai lodged itself in the back of the man right next to my father. He coughed up blood as it punctured his heart and lungs. He dropped out of the trees, and Dad jumped down to catch him.

"Ichiro!"

One of the other teammates looked back over his shoulder, "Dai, come on! I hate to say this, but Ichiro's dead, and we will be too if we don't get out of here!"

Dad looked up sadly, and Ichiro grabbed his arm, "Just leave me, Dai. You have a wife and kid; don't leave them alone in this world."

With a sigh, Dad started to set down Ichiro as he died. That's when a Mist Ninja dropped down between Dad and the rest of his team, stabbing him in the heart with a kunai.

"Emotions have no place in this shinobi world. You let your emotions take over and you died."

Ichiro fell out of my dad's arms as Dad fell down to the ground below. His eyes closing slowly as he whispered out, "I'm sorry, Yo-yo, but I won't be back before you know it."

The scene changed again before I even had a chance to register what had happened.

A resolute look was on Shikaku's face as he stood his ground right until the Ten-tails' jutsu demolished the entire building the he was standing in, turning it to dust.

Toukuro stood there shaking with a kunai held in his hand as a reanimated Madara Uchiha charged. Without pausing to look at my husband, Madara chopped him down as he spun through the ranks of the Fourth Division, a sword in hand.

The light slowly left Toukuro's eyes as the large wound in his neck gushed with blood.

This was beyond cruel. I had never wanted to watch their last moments. These were images that were better left unseen, unknown.

"Enough!" My voice sounded shrill and weak even to me.

That's when anger replaced all of my other emotions. I was done with the sick mind-game.

"Enough!" I held up my two fingers again and channeled all of my anger into stopping my chakra flow to break the hold over my chakra network that Kanaye had.

"Enough!"

I opened up my eyes, and Kanaye was stilling holding me with my head down with a look of concentration on his face. Channeling all of the strength that my First Gate supplied, I threw him off me and kicked him as hard as I could in the solar plexus.

"I've had enough of your sick games."

Out of the corner of my eyes, I saw a slightly disheveled Kakashi push his purple lightening jutsu through Oreikoku's chest. There was a long gash running down his left arm, but otherwise he looked pretty unharmed.

I turned back to Kanaye and tightened my grip on the knife in my left hand. "I've had enough of all of this." I walked closer until I hovered over his broken body. I probably ruptured several organs, fractured his vertebrae, and broken several ribs with that kick. He wasn't going to be getting up any time soon.