Chapter 28: Cards and the Benefactor

"These cards are special. They're not simply a party trick. I channel my chakra into them and they in return reveal the truth buried in the hearts of others. Do you want a demonstration?" I shook my head no, but he ignored me and split the deck to begin shuffling them.

Kanaye sat there shuffling the thick deck of cards while looking right into my eyes. Finally, he stopped the repetitive action and placed down a large card. "The Broken Kunai, the card of heartbreak and loss. This is your card." I clenched my hands into fists as it stared back at me tauntingly. He drew the next card from the stack with a flourish and put it face up next to the other card. It was a ninja village forehead protector with no symbol, only splatters of blood. "The Fallen Comrade, do you know who is represented by this card?" I shook my head, unable to answer with words. "This card represents Kakashi, the friend-killer. Let's see who's next." He flamboyantly placed the next card on the table. It had a golden ring on it, and one side of the band was melting and turning into a puddle of molten sludge. "Ah, the False Promise, the card that represents your dear Toukuro. I don't think that I need to explain this to you, do I?" The next card was placed in line with the others. This one was adorned by a shuriken who's pointed ends were curling up in different directions. There was no way that a weapon like this could fly straight. "This is the Warped Shuriken, Sasainako Fukushu. She was so driven by revenge and lust for power that her mind became warped like this shuriken, unable to function properly." The next card was placed above the other four, and it sported a wounded cat wearing an unmarked forehead protector. "The Tormented Summon."

"And who would that be?"

"That one would be me. And then my favorite card, the Chakra Network." He placed the card above all the others and it had the silhouette of a man with the chakra network inside highlighted in light blue. "The most important card of all for without the chakra network, being a ninja would be impossible. Do you have any idea who this card represents?"

I stared it for a couple of seconds. "Your benefactor."

"Very good, Kaiyo, very well deduced. Now, do you have any idea who that benefactor could be?" I shook my head. "I'll give you a hint. Here is the final card." He pulled it from the top of the stack and dramatically placed it below all of the others before turning it over. My breath caught in my throat as a lime green yo-yo stared back at me. "The Useless Toy, Dai Kimura." I watched the as card caught on fire and burned away, leaving behind nothing but a faint outline of black ashes. It felt like I had lost my dad all over again as the card disintegrated into nothingness. "It was a crime that such a pitiful card was married to the Chakra Network."

"M-married to the Chakra Network?"

"Yes, it seems that slow brain of yours finally figured it out. And they call you a genius? I practically had to spell it out to you."

"It can't be! S-she died years ago when the Nine-tails attacked the village! I-I even went to her funeral; this can't be true!"

"You are blinded by your fear, but you've known all along. Without a doubt, my benefactor is Nori Kimura. Your mother is not dead."