Chapter 30: Time Planning

Kanaye seemed to find my vague answer very funny, but I really wasn't paying him too much attention. Based on how tired I was, my finely tuned internal clock, how light it was outside before we entered the hideout, and how badly I needed to relieve my bladder (it's gross, true, but it was a good indicator of the passage of time), I guessed that it was nearing eleven in the afternoon. That would mean that Kakashi had probably discovered my empty apartment about an hour ago if my earlier predictions had been at least mildly accurate. Since it had taken from the middle of the night to the early morning for my captors to run here, I would predict that it had taken them about five and a half hours. Since they were burdened by carrying Anzu and my weight, I would shorten the needed time to about four and a half hours for the Leaf's squad. Great, that meant that I most likely had only about three and a half hours left now to get out before Kakashi arrived. The Hokage isn't supposed to go on missions, but I had a feeling that Kakashi would definitely throw protocol to the wind and come out here personally. And that was what I needed to avoid at all costs. I needed to get to Kakashi before Kanaye could.

Let's see, what did I have at my disposal? Anzu was a smart girl and tough as nails, but she wasn't a ninja so there was only so much that she could help me do. Besides, I was going to make sure that she made it out alive even if I didn't. There were the few small weapons hidden in my clothes, and my natural intellect. I did have five of the Eight Inner Gates, but Sakura had warned me that opening them ever again would most likely make me lose the ability to walk. She had also said that if I tried to use them again, she'd kill me, and I really didn't want to test her threat.

What did Kanaye have at his disposal? A huge compound filled with skilled assailants, his own jutsus, his sick mind games, almost unlimited funds, and what appeared to be a natural propensity for genjutsu. Things were not looking good for me. But, what weaknesses did Kanaye have? Well, he was cocky, and I might be able to use that against him in some way. However, he was a bit too cautious to be bated into taking rash actions. Another weakness could be his creepy obsession with my mother, but I didn't know how I would be able to manipulate that to my advantage. He thought that I was weak. Now that was something that I could work with. Especially since I had forgotten to add my acting skills to the list of things at my disposal. He wanted the mentally scarred, unstable, weak woman. Well, that's what he was going to get.