Chapter 17: Some Answers

I wasn't about to call anyone until I knew something more than just that the Curtis' were gone. The Elrics were worried enough at the moment, that they didn't need this added to their plate. And I wasn't about to report anything to the Fuhrer until I actually knew something, so there I sat with Selim waiting for Mason to wake up.

"Won't your superiors be expecting a report soon?" Selim asked me as he settled into his chair, I chose to keep standing. I thought better that way.

"Yes, but they'll have to wait until we find out something," I replied. "I just... who could take down the Curtises? Izumi taught the Elrics their alchemy and Sig's strength rivaled Alex's. It doesn't make sense."

"Hopefully Mason can provide some answers," Selim commented and I nodded.

"What I do know is that it was deliberate, if it wasn't they would have taken Mason as well or just have killed him when they were there. It's like they wanted someone to come looking for Izumi Curtis and stumble upon their half dead apprentice," I commented.

"But who would do this?" Selim asked.

"We have to wait on Mason for that answer," I replied.

"Could the Elrics provide an answer?" he asked.

"They're worried enough without adding this on top," I said. "We won't be telling them anything unless that the Curtises are safe and home."

"Is that the smart idea?" he asked.

"It's what we're going to do," I replied. I looked over at Mason, whoever took the Curtises did a number on him. But not enough to kill him, but what was their plan? What if it had been a few more days? He would have died if not from the cold, then form starvation and hunger. Was it possible that they knew the timeline? But they couldn't have counted on the Elrics calling the Curtises or that I would be here so quickly. Was Mason meant to live?

And more so who the hell could take down Izumi Curtis? She's older than she used to be, but she was still a force to be reckoned with especially after she was healed from her attempt of human transmutation. Greed couldn't take her down when she was injured. And Sig was there two and he wouldn't go down easily. So who managed to get stronger than a homunculus and could take down both Curtises without bringing down the building? Or the entire city.

"Levy," Selim said pulling me out of my thoughts. I turned my attention to him, but he was looking at Mason, who now had his eyes open. I walked to his side of the bed.

"Mason, listen carefully, we have only a little bit of time before the doctor comes in. The Elrics sent me to check in on the Curtises, you need to tell me what happened so I can get them back," I said and he just looked at me. "Please Mason, I want to save them but I can't without your knowledge. If you help I promise they will come back safe."

"I've never seen them before," he said barely above a whisper, his voice was hoarse and uneven.

"Never? Can you describe them?" I asked and he shook his head.

"Too fast," he replied.

"Mason, there has to be something, anything that you remember that can help us," I said and he was quiet for a little while.

"They didn't use alchemy," he stated.

"They didn't?" I asked and he shook his head.

"What are you doing? The patient needs his rest," the doctor came in said.

"Nothing, we were just leaving," I said and Selim stood up and followed me out of the room.

"What now?" he asked.