Chapter 35: Stand By

Sleeping well was becoming more and more rare, so we started taking shifts to sleep because if we weren't ready to fight then there was no way we could. I was curled up in bed after Winry convinced me that sleeping in the infirmary was no way to get proper sleep, but I didn't leave without having someone watch over my uncle who would report to me and Olivier is anything happened. 

I felt something touch my arm and within seconds the knife that was kept under my pillow by habit was at someone's throat. I had gotten that habit when I was a child living on my own, it was the only way to make sure nothing was ever taken from us.

"Lev," a quiet voice said disrupting the silence of the room and I relaxed. 

"Selim, you cannot scare me like that," I replied.

He caressed the side of my face. "I'm sorry, but we should act now while there's a chance."

"Hm," I said grabbing his hand. "Come here for a few minutes."

He let out a chuckle before laying down next to me pulling me close, my back rested against his chest. "This is a dangerous plan of yours, Lev."

"But it's better than doing nothing like the others are suggesting, more and more alchemists disappear. There will be none of us left except those in hiding or in this fortress. I can't stand by," I replied.

"I know," he whispered.

"He'll send me to go against you guys," he reminded.

"You won't kill us, will you?" I teased and he held me close. 

"You can't escape without injuries and even then Father will question me more," he commented.

"We'll be okay, we're strong. But are you sure you're okay with taking us there and picking up Mustang?" I asked.

"Anything to help end this." He kissed the back of my head. "Can you imagine us like this one day? Together? Without me disappearing in a flash?"

"Hmmm won't that be nice, but we have to go don't we?" I asked.

"We should," he replied. He let me go before disappearing to grab the others and let me get changed. Within ten minutes Maes, Trisha, and Mustang stood with me. 

We all decided that it was too dangerous for Sara to come since she didn't use alchemy. Sara wasn't happy, but we didn't want to risk her getting hurt or dying. 

"Are you all ready for this?" Selim asked. "He will most likely send me as soon as you guys start, I have to attack. You will get hurt. But I'll miss your vital areas."

"And you're going to get us as close as you can?" I asked. 

"Yes," he said. "We're going." I grabbed his hand and Maes grabbed mine, Trisha his, and Mustang hers. We followed Selim into the darkness and came out into a dark tunnel. We let go of the hands we were holding and Maes brought out a flashlight so did Mustang. 

"That way," Selim said point down the tunnel. I held his hand still. The others started walking but Selim wouldn't let my hand go so I stayed with him for a little bit, I could catch up to the others. "Don't be reckless."

"When am I ever reckless?" I joked.

"Lev, please. You have to be careful," he pleaded.

"Selim, I will be," I replied, he pressed a light kiss against my lips before disappearing. I ran to catch up with the others.

"Olivier know?" Maes teased.

"She does, she said she'd rather have me with Mustang over here than him, but she knows," I replied.