Chapter 32: Back North

"Of all the irresponsible stupid things to do!" Winry shouted at me and Mustang. "You two are targets of the very person you were chasing! He took down Armstrong he almost killed you Levy and you go chasing after him without any sort of backup?!"

"I had Mustang," I muttered. 

"Oh well that's just fine then isn't!" 

"Winry, that's enough for now," Ed said. "You two are alright and that's what matters."

"What matters is that he's dead," I said.

"Doesn't mean it wasn't stupid, Alex would have crushed you if he found out you did this," Al reprimanded.

"You would have done the same and you can't even argue that. He's gone. Mustang and I are okay, let's move on now," I replied.

"But he's gone now?" Olivier asked it was the first thing she said to me since we got back in. I expected her to be the one reprimanding us, but she wouldn't even look me in the eye.

"Pride killed him before I had the chance, but yeah he's gone," I explained.

"Good." She then left the room.

"You should go with her. She's barely left your uncle's side, he's not doing good Levy," Winry said. "Getting rid of the man that did it, wasn't going to change anything. I know."

"He's gone. Why couldn't everything be okay?" I asked, hating myself for sounding so weak. Winry sighed and walked closer to me. The Elric brothers were still fuming, May was sitting quietly and hadn't said a word. The other kids were forbidden while Mustang and I were being yelled at. Speaking of him, he was standing in the corner most likely feeling quite awkward. 

She pulled me close to her. "Scar killed my parents and when I found out, I was given the chance to kill him. I didn't. I couldn't. Because I knew it wouldn't bring my parents back and it wouldn't make what happened any better. From what I understand you didn't actually get to make that choice, which might be making this harder on you, but you'll be okay. Alex will be okay because death itself is terrified of that man."

"I can't do anything to help him," I said.

"You can be there for him and your mother," she said. "Like a normal daughter would be."

"There's nothing normal about being an Armstrong, when are my aunts coming in?" I asked.

"Amue and Catherine will be here tomorrow morning, Strongine was out of the country and will be here in a few days," May replied. 

"Good, they should be here," I said before walking away. I went to the infirmary where my mom was sitting in a corner in a chair, reading reports. Uncle Alex was still unconscious, but he was breathing. I sat down in the chair next to her without saying anything. 

"Alex is an idiot, he's too stupid to die," she said quietly. 

"Armstrongs don't fall so easily," I replied. 

"No, we don't," she said. 

"Your sisters are coming," I commented. Neither of us had looked at each other or at my uncle. She kept her eyes trained on her reported and I looked at the ground. 

"Alex will like that," she said. 

"Are you mad at me?" I asked daring a glance at her.

"No, I'm quite proud actually, you know how dangerous it was to go after a man who could take down my brother in mere minutes and still you went," she said.

"I just wanted him to pay for what he did to Uncle Alex, there is nothing honorable about it," I said.

She chuckled, a sound so very rarely heard. "Maybe so, but he is family and that is what family does. If hadn't been needed here I would have gone myself."

I smiled, her words were comforting. 

"Do you regret not being the one to take his life?"

I thought for a second, the silence absolutely deafening. "No."

In the corner of my eye I saw her nod, pleased with my answer. "You don't need any blood on yours hands yet."

"I already have blood on my hands, just none of it from the man who nearly killed my uncle."

"You were not at fault for the death of your sister, you did the best you could have. You think Edward could have taken care of his brother all alone?"

I shrugged.

"No, he was emotional and a child. And they were in the south, everything is harsher up here but we're stronger."

"I've never heard you say so many comforting things before."

"This thing with my brother is already making me soft," she grumbled.

"Thank you... Mom," I said as I rested my head on her shoulder. She didn't say anything but I could feel her eyes on me and her body was rigid, as it usually was. After a while she relaxed and went back to reading her notes while I eventually dozed off, only to be awakened by the sound of my aunts entering the room and Olivier yelling at them.

~~~~~~~~~~

Author's Note

Okay, apology time. Wattpad freaked out and published something from another story that I deleted days ago weird right? But this one is right... I pray it doesn't happen again.

Anyway sorry for taking so long my life has been crazy between two jobs and my summer class. This is kinda an in-between chapter and everything will pick up next chapter. Thank you for reading and sticking by me!