Chapter 21: Resembool

I was sitting on a train looking over every file that we had on the missing alchemists. There was such a wide range of them. From small town nobodies to some of the most famous alchemists in the country even some State Alchemists. Just gone. 

"Anything?" Selim asked.

"No, none of these people are really connected other than the fact they're alchemists," I said. 

"And the reason we're going to Resembool is?" he asked.

"Ed and Al figured out how to make a Philosopher's stone from volumes of code disguised as freaking cookbooks. They're the ones to figure out what's going on here, besides Winry's sick. I want to check in on her," I replied as I looked back down at the files.

"You're amazing you know that right?" Selim asked and I looked up at him.

"Why do you say that?" I asked in return. 

"You quit your job and defended someone who is basically a stranger. You're traveling out of your way to check on someone with an almost lame excuse, you're no normal girl Levy," he said.

"I never said I was. And trust me, Selim, if you knew what my life was like you would understand why, now excuse me I need some air," I replied as I closed the file I was looking at and stood up before traveling to the back of the train car and stepping outside into the rush of the wind. I closed the door and leaned back on it. 

I stood out there for a while before going back inside with a fresh mind to look at the files again, I couldn't see anything new. So Selim and I bid our time until we finally reached Resembool, where I practically ran to the Elric houses.

"Levy!" Sara shouted when I came into the view of the house, she ran to me and hugged me. I held her. 

"How's your mom?" I asked as she finally let me go.

"She has good days and bad. Aunt May is coming back with some medicine from Xing to see if that helps, but I'm sure she'd love to see you come on inside," Sara said before grabbing my hand and pulling me into the house and all the way to her parents' room. Ed was sitting next to the bed looking completely destroyed, I knew that look quite well. 

"Hi," I said and finally he looked up and gave me a tired smile.

"Levy what are you doing here?" he asked.

"I wanted to see Winry and get yours and Al's opinion on something," I replied.

"It's good to see you, Levy," Winry said as she opened her eyes. I walked over to the bed on the opposite side of Ed and took Winry's hand in mine.

"You too Winry," I replied. "I heard that May is coming home."

"Hopefully with something that helps," she replied.

"You'll be okay Winry, you've known Ed your entire life and if you can survive that you can beat this," I encouraged she smiled while Ed glared at me. "Now, Ed can I get your help on something?"

"On what?" Winry asked.

"A case I'm working on, nothing big," I replied and Ed and I left the room. "I'd like Al's opinion as well."

"Sure, he's out back," he replied. We walked outside and found Al. The three of us sat down at a table outside and I laid out the files.

"Alchemists all over the country have gone missing-" I took a deep breath -"Including your old mentor and her husband seems to be collateral. When I went back to their house I was attacked, the... kids seemed surprised I could fight. I think they were banking on the fact that most alchemists can't do much without their alchemy."