Chapter 4: The Frost Alchemist

I was once again standing in Mustang's office, Major General Mustang stood next to me while Mustang sat at his desk. "So you were lead into the same trap as the others," he said referring to the criminals.

I nodded.

"But you beat him at his own game, by using alchemy," he said.

Again I nodded.

"Even Colonel Armstrong has tried to stop him and was evaded, this shows your exceptional skill, although I would expect no less from a Briggs soldier," he stated.

I cocked my head to side a little, not knowing where he was going with this.

"Have you ever considered becoming a State Alchemist?" he asked.

Immediately and without any hesitation I shook my head.

"Riza, excuse us for a minute," Mustang said and then she walked out of the room. "Why?" he asked me.

I stayed silent.

"You've talked before, but if you insist on not talking then let me guess. You don't want to sell your soul to the country or you won't gain anything from it or Olivier will kick your ass if she finds out."

I held up two fingers.

"So Olivier wouldn't kick your ass?"

"She wanted me to," I whispered.

"Well then, but why not?"

"Equivalent exchange, I get nothing from it."

"You get to travel."

"And obey you like I don't have a brain of my own."

"So that's your personality when you talk. Besides Fullmetal enjoyed disobeying every single order."

"Still bitter about it I see. Why would you want me?"

"It'd be nice to have you in our arsenal."

I glared at him.

"What?"

"I will not kill."

"I wasn't going to ask you to, just take the test. It couldn't hurt, but you've already passed the practical. What do you say?"

I didn't move.

"It isn't mandatory to wear the uniform and you can travel where you want as long as you're not under orders, once your job is done file a quick report and you're on your way and you have to report once a year to renew your license. So?"

I took a deep breath and then nodded.

"Riza!" Mustang yelled and then she walked into the room. "Private Armstrong is going to take the test."

"Levy, are you sure?" Riza asked.

I nodded.

"Then come with me," she said. I followed her out of the room. "I'll make sure he doesn't make you do something bad, he may still be my superior, but he'll listen to me."

I smiled. She took me to a small room that had a desk in it and sat me down in the chair. She set a few papers down in front of me and then laid a pen on top of the papers.

"Good luck Levy," she said and then she left. I grabbed the pen and set down to work. There were questions about the military, the history of the country, and then it got into the history of alchemy. The legend about where our style of alchemy came from, the taboos, and stuff like that. Stuff that I learned when I was a kid. Within an hour, the test was done. I set the pen down and stood up as I grabbed the test. I opened the door and saw Riza standing outside of it.

"Done already? Most people take a lot longer," she commented and I just shrugged. She took it from me, "Well let's go see what Roy had to say about this." We walked back to his office and she handed him the papers. He quietly looked them over.

"Well Private," he began writing on a new piece of paper. "You have more skill and more intelligence than the Fullmetal brat, but you're also more stubborn in your ways; you're sure to cause more trouble than he did. But," he picked up the paper he was writing on and began to read from it, "'This official document certifies that the nation of Amestris, prefecture of the Generalissimo appoints the name Frost to Levy Armstrong in the name of Fuhrer King Mustang.' Congratulations Levy you are now going to be known as the Frost Alchemist."

I smiled and shook my head at the name Mustand gave me.

"Couldn't have thought of a better name for the girl Roy?" Riza asked as if she was reading my mind. 

"I thought it fit her coming from Briggs and all besides her adoptive mother is the Ice Queen," he replied. "Levy, you are now the first woman in Amestris' history to become a State Alchemist and the second youngest State Alchemist ever. Here's your pocket watch, to prove your status and remember you're the same rank as a Major now." He pulled the watch out of his drawer and gave it to me. "Armstrong will be waiting at the house for you, you're dismissed."

I nodded and then turned and left. As I was walking down the street I saw a clothes store and I decided to go in.

"Is there anything I can help you with?" one of the store employees asked. I shook my head and looked around. I picked up a pair of black pants that had a blue sheen to them, it almost looked like it had ice on them. I held them in my arms as I contined to look around the rest of the store. I found a dark blue shirt which sleeves would end at my elbows, I grabbed that as well. The last thing I grabbed was a black thick bracelet that had a big light blue snowflake on it, I would use it to cover the scar between where my skin ended and my automail began on my right hand, it was part of set the other part was a black velvet choker necklace that had a silver snowflake charm that had a small blue saphire in the middle and then at each end of the snowflake.

I went up to the counter and set my items on top of it.

"This all?" the woman asked. 

I nodded.

"Don't say much?" she asked.

Again I nodded, but then I had a thought. "Can you make extras of the clothes?" I asked quietly.

"Extras? How many? I'm guessing you want that size."

I nodded before saying, "About 20."

"20?!"

"No real rush on them."

"Can you afford that?"

I pulled the pocket watch out of my pocket and showed her. Her eyes widened and her jaw dropped. "I'll get started on it right away."

"Thank you," I replied as I set the money for the clothes on the counter. 

"All 20 should be done by the end of the week."

"Thanks," I said and then I turned and left.