Chapter 28: Mustang

It had been a few days since I arrived at the Wall, the adults insisted on hammering out a few more details before we could act and I was constantly watched to make sure I didn't run off and make a move on my own. Since I was not allowed to be part of the planning, because I was and quote "too involved in the situation" so I decided to head visit my old hometown, more importantly my mother's and sister's graves. I knelt down in the snow while my 'guards' stood a few feet behind me. 

"Dad said he was going to come see you guys, I don't know if he's done it yet, but he's up here again so at least there is that," I said. I stared at the dark grey grave stones for a little bit before speaking again. "We're going to do something dangerous and you both would kill me if you were here, but there are people in danger, they can die. I couldn't save you guys and that haunts me, but I can save them. I can at least try." After sitting in the snow for a while I got up and walked back to the guards.

"Cold Frost?" one of them asked and I rolled my eyes.

"You kidding me? After the training Olivier put me through cold is no longer an option for me," I replied and they both smiled. Olivier was a tough boss and an even tougher mother. "But we can stop so you two can get something to warm yourselves up."

We walked back into the town and into the local tavern, I stood behind them while they ordered coffee. Olivier did not tolerate drinking on the job.

"Excuse me, but are you guys stationed at the Wall?" a voice asked and the three of us turned to look at this man who was about a foot away from us. He had black hair and brown eyes.

"What's it to you?" I asked and his eyes narrowed at me. 

"I want to get it, but I can't even talk to anyone," he said.

"No military personnel gets into the Wall without permission from the Lieutenant General or by the order of the Fuhrer and no outsider gets in at all," one of my guards said. 

"Yeah well I'm Christopher Mustang, I think I get special privileges especially when I'm looking for my parents," the boy said. 

"Didn't know they had a kid," I commented.

"Yeah and how do you know them?" he asked.

I held out my State Alchemist watch. "Your father chose me himself. I'm a friend of the Elrics and Oliver's daughter."

"Then you can get me inside," he said.

"I suppose, I sure as hell am not going to try to explain everything to you," I replied. "Gentlemen, finish your drinks we need to leave."

The two of them downed their coffees and started to flag down a waitress to pay.

"So where have you been?" I asked Christopher.

"Training in alkahestry in Xing," he replied.

"No wonder you don't know anything," I commented just as my men were finished. We headed outside back into the cold and began our trek back to the entrance. Once we got inside I dismissed the men and took the Mustang kid to Olivier's office. I walked in without knocking.

"Levy, we told you that you're not allowed to be part of this discussion," Winry said and I crossed my arms over my chest.

"Yeah, I know, that isn't why I'm here. We have a visitor," I said beckoning Christopher forward.

"Mustang what are you doing here?" Olivier asked.

"Looking for my parents, know where they are? The girl wouldn't tell me," he replied.

"'The girl' has a name," I commented. 

"They're hiding out for their safety," Ed said.

"Hiding out? My parents? The Hawk's Eye and the Flame Alchemist? Hiding?" he asked obviously not believing him.