Chapter 34: The Arguments

"How can he make a move against us when we keep moving and no one knows all of our locations?" Fuhrer Mustang questioned. Using our phone system we were having a meeting since we couldn't all be in the same place.

"Could be something to do with the fact that he has someone who can travel around Amestris in every single shadow," Ed said.

"Selim is on our side, I told you that already," I muttered. 

"Uh huh, we believed that once then he betrayed us," Ed said.

I could feel my anger grow. How many times was I supposed to go through this?

"Levy trusts Selim and he had a chance to kill us both the other night and didn't. Let's move on to plan how to keep everyone safe while continuing on with our plan," Olivier said. I was shocked by her comment, up until just then I had been the only one defending him.

"The Lieutenant General is right Dad, Selim has done a lot to keep Levy safe. Yeah, his method wasn't something we were expecting but without him, Levy would be dead or you know, be a murderer. He came out of his way to warn us, obviously, our enemy has something planned to either get us together to kill us or kill us individually. We need to take the threat seriously, because, if you really think about it, Selim has never actually lied to us," Mustang commented. At least there was someone with the Fuhrer who believed me.

"Well there isn't any more underground we can get and we can't really continue with our plan if we move out of the country," Fuhrer Mustang said.

"You guys keep mentioning a plan, but we really haven't decided on one yet," I reminded.

"No matter what we need to be in the country," Fuhrer Mustang commented. 

"We need a plan guys, we can't just sit here and wait for him to act. That could get us and so many innocent people killed," I reminded. "And if we don't act we risk alchemists, we risk our people because we're sitting here arguing if we can trust Selim or not or arguing who came up with the best plan."

"She's right," Winry said. "The people we love are either protected or in hiding, but most people aren't that lucky. We need to act."

Finally someone on my side! 

"We need to take down the tunnels first," I said and my mother nodded in agreement, though our companions couldn't see her.

"And that did so well for us the last time, we should just attack head on. We have strong alchemists more this time, he won't stand a chance especially in his weakened state," the Fuhrer countered. 

"We should split up and do both like we did last time," Ed said. "More alchemists mean we can do better, act quicker. We have so many allies."

"And while we wait for the perfect moment to attack Father, alchemists suffer and continue his plans. We need to get them out and destroy the tunnel, it will set Father back in his plans and make him desperate. Desperate men or even things make him sloppy and so it will be easier to get rid of Father once and for all," I argued. 

"But if we take him out then there will be no need to bother with the tunnels," the Fuhrer argued. "And Fullmetal don't even bother bringing up doing both because that worked oh so well the last time."

"At least we don't have homunculi to worry over this time," we heard Al murmur. 

"Pride," Fuhrer said.

"God don't start that again!" I shouted. I was sick of hearing of his argument about Selim. "Selim is on our side and if we're going to start this argument again I'm gone."

"Perhaps you should go Frost," the Fuhrer said.

"Very well then, figure it out for yourselves then," I replied before leaving the room before someone else could say something. I went back to my uncle's room and waited to hear about a decision.

"They won't listen to you as long as you advocate for me," Selim said and as I had gotten used to him just appearing, his voice didn't startle me. 

"But you're with us, so I'll defend you," I said. "What do you think we should do?"

"Oh they sure as hell won't go with the plan I think is best," he joked.

"I want to know your opinion Selim," I replied. 

"It's difficult Levy," he said. "I agree with you that the tunnels need to be taken down to at least put Father a step back and the alchemists down there need to get out."

"But?" I prompted.

"I don't think it will make him as desperate as you think, he waited so long between the destruction of Xeres and trying to destroy Amestris," he said.

"That's only because he had to wait for the tunnels to be made by Sloth, the tunnels are made, they just need to be repaired which is what those alchemists are doing at this very moment," I argued. I was sick of people just shooting down my ideas. 

"Levy-" he took my face in his hands -"breathe. You're right, he did have to wait to gain more strength and power. I don't stand in opposition to you, but no one alive knows Father better than I. I was his favorite child, I remained near him always, I was the last of us to be 'killed'. Desperation is not something he feels."

I took a breath and he let go of me. "I know, but I can't just let them stay down there Selim and getting them out won't be easy because we don't even really know why they stay. God this is so complicated."

"So is the way of life. Nothing is ever simple, Levy, ever. There will be consequences no matter what we choose to do first," he said. "But I will look into what keeps them working if it will help your decision."

"No Selim, you can't endanger yourself any more than you already are," I argued and he smiled.

"It's endearing that you get so worried about me when I'm stronger than you."

"You're not invincible," I reminded.

"Yes I know and Father can destroy me as he once did Greed when Greed turned fully against him. But he needs me. He is not strong enough to pull out the sins again, nor do I think he could really handle the pride that I have. He may punish me, but he probably will not try to take me in again," he assured.

"Probably. Maybe. You don't know and I'm not willing to lose you," I argued.

"You won't. If I need to run I can. His power is still extremely limited and none of his minions can hold me," he said. "The Elrics couldn't even hold me that long."

"Those brothers are, of course, the standard for everything," I joked and he smiled. 

"I should go and find out the information you need," he said as he moved back towards the shadow.

"Selim wait," I said and he stopped and moved back into the light. I moved closer to him and gave him a gentle kiss on the lips. "You be careful. I'm not losing anyone I care about."

He smiled at me with a small happy smile. "Who am I to deny you?" He leaned in and kissed me harder, his arms sliding around me. The kiss took y breath away while everything that weighed on me just melted away. He broke the kiss and rest his forehead on mine. "I'll be back, I swear it."

"You better you jerk," I replied, he laughed before letting me go and stepping back into the darkness and leaving.  I looked to my uncle. "Oh Uncle Alex, what have I gotten him into?"

And fool, when will you wake up?

~~~~~~~

Author's Note

My dear beloved readers, I am so sorry it has taken this long to get this chapter up. I had writer's block and then my work has been utter hell and then... college began again. I know I also said that some action would start in like... well this chapter, but I needed another one to get to the action. Which should, the writer gods be willing, be next chapter and hopefully it won't be another like two months between now and the next chapter. In the mean time, I hope you enjoyed this chapter and will continue to bear with me until the end of the book. Love you all.