Chapter 19: Arrested

No body knows anything. That was the consensus of the ENTIRE city. "How was it?" Selim asked as I entered Mason's room. I just sat down and rubbed my face. "So not good?"

I took my hands off my face as I sighed. "Izumi and Sig are permanent fixtures in this city and no one knows why someone would take them," I replied. "They are good people. No enemies at least not since the homunculus were taken down." I sighed again as I leaned back in the chair. "Anything from Mason?"

"Nope, pretty much the same," he replied. "The nurse gave him more medicine and went back to sleep." I groaned before standing up.

"Okay let's put the facts out on the table. Izumi and Sig are gone, evidence at their place says it was without their consent-" I began to pace back and forth- "We found Mason injured and locked in the fridge and he didn't see anything useful. When I went back to their place I was attacked by... child ninjas, who seemed surprised I could fight well and didn't seem to like alchemists," I listed.

"Do you think they were counting on the fact that some alchemists don't know how to use hand-to-hand combat?" he asked.

"Perhaps, but they saw my watch, they knew I was military," I argued as I looked at him before beginning to pace again. 

"Still, the watch just means you're a State Alchemist not a real military person, aren't there plenty that are just researchers?" Selim asked.

"Yeah, I suppose... But it still doesn't explain how they took down Izumi and Sig. Izumi, even when missing an organ, was an amazing fighter with or without alchemy and Sig is like a giant bear. I know they're getting older now, but it wouldn't have been easy," I pointed out. 

"What about the state of the that shop makes you think it was easy?" Selim asked.

"It wasn't completely destroyed," I replied with a small smile. I heard shouts coming from the hall and I turned and walked to the door to see who was causing all the commotion, I saw four military officers walking down the hall towards us. I didn't like it. They stopped in front of the door.

"Please step aside," one ordered and I pulled out my watch, flashing it at them.

"What's this about?" I asked.

"We're under orders to arrest Selim Bradley," he replied before pushing me aside and coming into the room. 

"Hey," I said as they walked over to Selim.

"What?" Selim asked as they grabbed onto him. He struggled against them but it was four against one, there was no real chance unless Selim really wanted to hurt them.

"Why? What are the allegations?" I asked preventing them from leaving the room. 

"Kidnapping alchemists, we're taking him back to central," one of the men replied.

"That's insane! I order you to stop!" I shouted as I grabbed onto him.

"Levy don't!" Selim shouted.

"The fuhrer ordered it, now unhand me," he replied and I let go. The fuhrer? Mustang did this? I followed them out into the hall and grabbed a nurse. 

"If Mason remembers anything you call me at Central Headquarters, do you understand?" I requested and she nodded. I let her go and rushed to catch up with the men. "Hey he's still a person, treat him with some respect."

"Barely," one of the men muttered and I glared at him. He may have been born by unconventional means, but he was still a person and a good one at that. 

"Levy you need to find out what's going on here, don't worry about me," Selim said.

"Shut up you," one of the other men said. 

"No. Mustang knows something I don't, so I'm going with you and besides you need someone in Central who believes you're innocent," I replied. We took the train back to Central, longest train ride of my life, and when we got there I was told Selim was being taken to the jail until his hearing, this gave me time to get to the fuhrer. I walked into his office not even knocking. 

"What's going on?" I asked. The fuhrer and the Major General looked up from a file. 

"Excuse me?" Mustang replied.

"Levy is something wrong?" Riza asked.

"You had Selim arrested. I want to know why," I replied and the Major General looked at her husband.

"You're on your own sir," she sad before leaving the room. Mustang stayed quiet for a minute while he studied me, it was as if he expected me to try to kill him or something. I was just confused and frustrated. 

He stood up and made his way to stand in front of his desk while I waited patiently still standing near the door. "Alchemists all over the country have gone missing from beginners to well known professionals, we've also lost contact with some of our alchemists," he explained. Izumi. The most well-known non-State Alchemist in the country. 

"But why arrest Selim?" I asked.

"He is a homunculus Frost, you can't forget that," he said.

"What the hell does that have to do with this?" 

"There are people who believe that he is taking out alchemists so he can finish his father's plans. It was alchemists who took down his siblings and father," Mustang explained.

"This is bullshit and you know it! Selim hasn't done anything wrong since he was reborn! He doesn't remember that life. And you arrest him without any proof!" I shouted. 

"Frost I want to believe that he hasn't done anything wrong, but we underestimated him when he was a child and I will not let that happen again," he said. "You're excused."

"I will be defending him during his trial and then I'm going to find the real culprit and you can't stop me," I warned.

"I can. You're a State Alchemist Levy, you follow my orders," he reminded.

"The hell I do." I threw my watch and it landed right next to him on the desk. "I don't follow the orders of someone I can't respect."

''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''

Hey guys. Yes there is finally a chapter up! So I hope you all enjoyed it. For the record this does not mean that I will be posting regularly in this book, but hopefully it means it won't be another four months til the next chapter is out.