Chapter 18

I diced the carrots slowly, I had never been good with knives, but I was trying to help with dinner. My lack of hand eye coordination didn't exactly help when it came to cooking, especially the cutting part of it.

Alaricus and I had spent all day together and now near dinner, he had asked me if it was alright if we cooked our dinner ourselves. All day Alaricus had been extremely affectionate taking every opportunity to touch me, to hold me, we had basically been glued together since he came to get me from my room. His honey eyes seemed to glow brighter as the day progressed, but every time I tried pulling away his eyes would darken. Alaricus never liked me rejecting his affections but today he seemed more on edge then usual, and for that reason I had stopped pulling away from him, allowing him to be as affectionate as he pleased.

I huffed in frustration, I was trying to dice the carrots into squares but wasn't too successful. I was nearly growling in anger when I felt two arms wrap around my own as a strong hard body pressed into my own, making my muscles tense immediately. No matter how close Alaricus and I had been today, I still wasn't used to his touch, truthfully never having had a boyfriend, it was very strange to have a male touch me in a romantically affectionate way. I feared I'd never get used to his touch.

He rested his hand on mine guiding me through the movements, his body completely lax against mine, but I could feel his heart pounding away in his chest. He enjoyed my touch but it made him nervous as well, it was so strange to to know you affected a man in that manner, especially one like Alaricus Knight.
"Perhaps I'll be the one doing the cooking for us love." His warm breath blew against my ear, as he whispered to me softly, making a shiver rake down my spine and I bit into my lip nervously to keep him from hearing my laboured breathing.

He finally let go of me gathering up the carrots, to put them in the pot and wrapped his arm around me, guiding me to the stools, pulling one out for me, he sat me down.
"Maybe you should just watch." He said, sending me a small smile playful smile as he went back to cooking and I returned his with a feeble one of my own.

I watched him cook silently, unable to look away. He moved around the kitchen comfortably as if cooking was something he did often, the way he moved with such ease made it seem as if he were a professional chef.

He set the dish down on a tray, taking his time to neatly arrange the food onto the tray, and washing his hands after. Alaricus gestured with his hand did me to go before him, chivalrously bowing making me crack a small smile as I walked ahead of him. The delicious smell of the food wafting from behind me, the only indication that he was following me. He walks so very deceptively quietly for a man his size, it always unnerved me, there was something predatory about it. It was why I preferred him walking before me, but he was far too chivalrous for that.

I paused mid-step as I realized we were to dine in his room, where I'd also have to sleep. I really wasn't ready yet. As if sensing my unease, Alaricus rests his hand on my shoulder, gently using it to pull me to face him. His eyes scan over my face, carefully analyzing, seeming to have found his answer, as his eyes fill with realization.
"Won't you go in love? I promise I would never hurt you." Alaricus states truthfully and I nodded curtly, bracing my shoulders as I swung open the door to his room walking in slowly.

Alaricus rested an arm on the small of my back, balancing the large tray in just one hand skillfully, and he led me to his bed. He set the tray in between us as we sat, arranging the cutlery in front of us both.
"Open it." He said, gesturing towards the lid of the dish, his eyes shining with childish excitement.

I opened it slowly to reveal rows of artfully arranged ratatouille, and in the centre was a baked chicken, slathered in spices and herbs.

I let out a laugh at the ratatouille knowing who exactly had suggested it. Adrian adored the movie. Alaricus poked a fork into the ratatouille holding it out to me, and hesitantly I leaned forward taking a bite.