Chapter 36

I wrapped my arms around my legs, pulling them up close to my chest as I rest my head down onto my knees. Letting out a quiet sniffle as I glared down at the cold dark granite counter that I was seated on as if it were the smooth surface that had done something to anger me.

There was something about sitting on a counter, they were just so much more fun than regular chairs, or perhaps they were for me since I'd always been told not to as a child. I buried my face into the fluffy material of my pyjamas. After what had happened I knew Alaricus would have a hard time leaving me alone. The urge to comfort an upset mate was overwhelming, and Alaricus even without the instinct was overbearingly protective. I'd snuck up to my room changing out of the still damp leggings and dress, into my favourite pair of pyjamas. A soft comforting creme colour with pictures of hot cocoa in a red cup and red candy canes printed all over it.

Although I had no doubt it wouldn't be long before Alaricus found me, I hadn't expected it to be so very soon.
"Amara." He called out softly in his deep velvety voice, letting out a quiet breathy sigh in relief. I suppose he'd thought I'd run off.

I stay in my spot, not even giving him a slight sign of acknowledgement but I can feel the hair at the back of my neck rise as I hear him creep closer.

"I'm so sorry angel, I didn't mean to upset you." He says gently, his longing to reach out and touch me almost tangible in the air. My brows furrow at his words, that's what he was upset about, upsetting me, nearly killing a man invoked absolutely no feelings of remorse or regret.

"Is that all you're upset about?" I ask, turning to face him, and his honey eyes gaze all over my face, widening in remorse.

"Amara, I, it's difficult for me to see somebody else touching you, especially unmated males. I know it's wrong, but it awakens something within that I can't control. Despite how in control I may be, for you I'm like a newborn pup again. Everything I know goes out the window and I'm back on my primal instincts. I love you, and I am so sorry about the way that I acted tonight, you deserve so much more than a man who'd act this way. I promise angel I'll be better for you." Alaricus says softly.

"You need to apologize to the tutor." I say, and he nods, a small smile coming onto his face as I nod once, attempting to act stern. He sneaks forward as I concentrate on the edges of my pyjama shirt, twiddling it softly in my fingers.

A strong muscled arm snuck gently around my waist, one making it's way under my knees as Alaricus yanks me off the counter and onto his chest.
"Alaricus." I squeal out, clinging onto the collar of his shirt.
"Yes baby." He coos softly pulling me up closer to his chest, leaning down to nuzzle his face against the soft skin of my throat, inhaling deeply.

"I kinda really like the counter." I say awkwardly, and Alaricus pulls away from my throat. Mumbling something under his breath that sounds suspiciously like "I'm being cheated on with a counter."

He looks at me with his bottom lip jutted out, hazel eyes widened in a way that remind me of a newborn puppy.
"More than me?" He asks sadly.
"No-no I don't like a counter more than you, I just kinda like sitting there." I say and he mutters something under his breath again, but this time it sounds quite like "that can be arranged," and he puts me down onto my feet. He hops up onto the counter, leaning his back against the wall, before he reaches out for me wrapping his hands tightly around my waist and yanking me up so that I sit in front of him between his legs.

That was how one of the poor younger chefs find us, the most powerful alpha werewolf sitting with his legs spread out, and his mate sitting pressed against his chest. She lets out a shrill scream and I feel Alaricus wince as the high pitched noise hits his sensitive ears. He buries his face into my hair trying to hide away from the noise.