Chapter 23

He holds me close, his arms encasing me to him, acting as warm chains as they imprison me in his hold. Alaricus leans down nuzzling his face into my hair, he inhales my scent deeply.
"Let go." I mumble, straining to get out of his hold, but his arms only tighten as he brings me closer to his warm chest. Nuzzling his face into the side of mine, the stubble gently scraping across my soft skin, tickling me only making me squirm more in his hold.

"Never, I will never let you go." Alaricus says his voice closer to a growl, and as I look into his eyes, I see the gold standing out in contrast to the hazel. My stomach tightening as I see the way the gold glints dangerously, so very paranormal on his human looking face. The monster slowly ripping out of its beautiful facade. I gulp nervously, his gaze trained intently on my constricting throat.

"You should." I mutter quietly and his hold tightens as he pulls back to look into my eyes. As I shy away his hand comes up to gently lift my face so that I would be forced to meet his intense gaze.

"And why is that?" He growls out.
"B-because you can have someone stronger, a wolf, someone who can reciprocate your affections, your passion." I tell him quietly, and his eyes flash dangerously as I mention him being with someone else.
"How can they when my affections, my passion belong to you, when I belong solely to you." He says gazing deeply into my eyes as he speaks and my heart clenches at what I see, it was true he had given himself over to me. His heart belonged to me, he belonged to me and it was so sad to see the bond was so strong that it had forced a man like him to give himself to someone like me. The wolf had fallen in love with the sheep.

"But what if this is all the bond, perhaps if I'm away from you, you will fall in love with another." I tell him hoping he will see reason but his eyes grow livid as I speak, and suddenly looking into them I can't breathe.

"This isn't only the bond, the bond can only push me towards you, form an attraction, a need to protect, but my feelings for you are so much deeper. The bond isn't what makes me feel as if everything is going to be okay every time I see you, or the reason my arms ache only to hold you, neither is it the reason for the way I long to see you every moment of the day. Why my eyes search for your face everywhere I go, or for the way my heart warms when you make faces while you read. Why I feel all my worries and ailments drift away every time I look into those eyes, or why I find your smiles absolutely enamouring and neither is it why it drives me insane to know that I am the one hurting you most by keeping you here." He finishes off his voice growing quieter until it's merely a whisper and neither of us can look the other in the eye.

A moment of silence passes between us and my heart thrums as his words slowly sink in, but when I open my mouth to speak unthinkingly I blurt out something I shouldn't have.

"Then let me be free." I say quietly, my eyes pleading as I look at him and he slowly lets go of me looking away from me.
"I can't." He whispers refusing to look into my eyes, as he faces away from me. A breath of relief leaving me as I see he hasn't been angered by what I've unthinkingly said.

"But ask anything else of me love and I'd go through any measures necessary to give it to you, anything at all." He tells me, a frensic desperation in his eyes that frightens me.
"N-nothing." I stutter out my response not even making sense as I stumble back from his manic eyes.

"I could give you anything Amara, I would, I only wish to see you happy." He tells me softly, despite the storm in his eyes, and I shake my head pulling further away from him. A crease forming between my brows as his words sunk in, he wished to buy me, to make me his like he was mine through materialistic gifts.