How it all came to be

*this story is Courtney's POV unless it says otherwise :)*

-March 2007-

I sat and watched the moving van pull in. I was bursting with excitement. I was so excited that new people were moving in. I was so tired of that grumpy old guy living next door and I was secretly happy that his family put him in a nursing home. Sucked for him, rocked for me.

"I wonder if it's a family! Oh, I hope they have kids! Maybe's they'll have an 11 year old, like me!" I started running around the living room.

Then I ran into a table.

My mom chuckled as I started to cry. "See this is why we call you Crash Courtney." She said, running to the kitchen and grabbing an ice pack. "Let me see." She commanded. I slowly lifted my hand up from my forehead and she winced. "Looks like you've got yourself another bump." She told me, handing me the ice pack wrapped in a cloth.

"Great."

The next day, mom decided to take me next door to welcome the neighbours with her famous lasagna. She rang the doorbell and stood with my dad and I. A blonde woman opened the door.

"Hi there. We noticed that you just moved in and I wanted to come over and welcome you to the neighborhood." She said with a warm smile on her face. She handed the woman the lasagna and the woman smiled widely.

"Why thank you!" She exclaimed. Mom smiled.

"I'm Karen Fitzgerald, this is my husband Dominic and my daughter Courtney." She introduced all of us.

"I'm Stormie Lynch. Come on in and I'll introduce you to the rest of my family." She opened the door wider and let all of us in. We followed her into the kitchen, where I saw an older boy and girl sitting on the couch.

"Rocky! Ross! Ryland!" She called up the stairs and they came running down. Two looked close to my age and one looked a bit younger than me.

"These are my children. This is Riker, Rydel, Rocky, Ross, and my youngest Ryland." Stormie introduces us. "My husband Mark is still in Colorado tying up some loose ends with his business." She explained.

The floppy blonde haired one stepped up and stuck out his hand. "I'm Ross." He stated.

I took his hand and awkwardly shook it.

"Not to be rude or anything, but what happened to your head?" He asked, pointing to my giant, purple bump.

I reached up and touched it without even thinking.

"Oh, I bumped my head yesterday on a table. My mom calls me Crash Courtney." I informed him. His lips curled up in a smile.

"That's pretty funny! But not worse than my nickname. My siblings call me Rossy Jersey Shor and it makes me so mad." He laughed. I furrowed my brows.

"Why do they call you that?"

"Oh, because my middle name is Shor. It's my uncles name." He explained. I nodded.

"Oh."

We stood awkwardly for a few seconds.

"So, do you like video games?" He asked.

I nodded. "Yeah they're cool." I replied.

"You wanna come play?" He asked. I nodded and followed him to where a TV was set up.

That was the start of our best friendship.

-August 2009-

Ross had been my best friends for about two years now. I could totally be myself around him. He was really one of the first friends that I ever had. I was a pretty awkward kid, so I didn't make friends that easily. But with Ross, it was easy.