chapter 29

BELLAMYS POV
As we gingerly stalked our way through the dam, being conscious of our mud caked boots crunching on the concrete flooring beneath us it all stopped. The lights that illuminated the room dimmed, the hum of the machinery stopped, the room became silenced, the power was off.  Whipping round I looked at raven wide eyed, she seemed to be as dumbfounded as me.  we didn't say anything we just kept walking.  Jogging up the metal stairs and to the
heavy door at the top, I tugged.  With
effort the door began to slide away  from its home locked it the wall.  Quickly realising the the door was opening raven rushed up to join me in a game of man vs door.  After a few minutes of pulling, the door became fully agar and we cautiously made our way into the silent bunker.  It was so quite, so quite that our
footsteps seemed somehow out of place.
" whys it's so quite? I don't like it"
" well I don't know raven maybe they all decided to go out on a walk" i added snidily
" it's highly possible" she muttered under her breath and I knew she was right.  The mountain people might well be out of this hell hole and wandering round the woods, spying on our people and waiting to attack, she was right, it was highly possible.  
We made our way deeper through the corridors, closer the the heart, following Clarkes intricate map and  checking rooms as we went for any sign of the blonde girl that we came for , or just anyone at all.  Then we saw it, the mess hall, the ground littered with bloodied bodies.  People fallen on top of one another, their red fleshy skin standing out against their pale clothing.  The bunker was nothing now, nothing but a mass grave for the mountain people, men, woman and children alike.  Shuffling through the scattered bodies, avoiding people's redend limbs we made it across the room where on a table sat a box of syringes and hundreds of  tiny vials containing a substance, bone marrow.  Some of them must have gotten out, some must be cured and scampered when the power was turned off, when radiation seeped in through the vents, when their friends and family fell in pain.  Someone must of done this and it was obvious who.  Clarke.  bringing the map up to my face I study it closely, there must be some sort of control room or something. There, right at the center of the mountain. 
"Come on, we've got to find her" i say and raven silently follows.  Im greatful that raven is here, yes shes a pain in the ass and she probably hates Clarke more than anyone but she knows that I have to get to her, she knows that I have to save her, she understands.  It helps she also understands that despite how much dislike raven has for Clarke she knows the blonde is the rightful leader of our group, she can see that without her we would never have gotten this far and yes Clarke has made mistakes but haven't we all?  We've all failed each other, we've all failed our group, we've all failed this world.  I don't care what anybody back at camp says, Clarke deserves to live, she deserves this second chance at life more than anyone else, I just hope we're not too late.  Being lost is my thoughts we reached the control room faster than I had thought.  Due to the power being shut down the key cards were no longer needed.  Once again like we did down in the dam, me and raven pulled on the heavy door in unison until it opened enough for us to fit through.  She was the first thing I saw, her small frame crumpled on the floor in a oversized guards uniform, long strands of blonde hair spilling out from underneath the cap that was placed on her head.  Time seemed to slow, my entire focus on her.   Her skin was pale, her body thin  bloodied and bruised, her eyes sunken and bones prominent even under her clothing.  How was it possible that in such a short time she had changed so drastically, that in the few days her physical appearance had altered to almost unrecognisable. 
" Bellamy... Bellamy!" Raven had to shout a few times for it to register. it was almost as I was under water, her so each seemed muffled a and my only concentration was on the beautiful laying at my feet.  
" we need to get her out of here, get her help, give me a hand" she said to me.  I wanted to move, I wanted to run to Clarke and pick her up, will her to wake up and never let go of her again but I couldn't.  I was frozen. 
" Bellamy, if we don't help her now she's going to die"
That's what snapped me out of my trance.  She couldn't die, I've just found her and there was nothing on this  earth that was going to stop me from keeping her.