Chapter 26

Don't forget to vote and comment!

Chapter 26

"WELL, ACCORDING TO THE DOCTOR he might be able to leave the hospital soon," I explained through the phone, "after the surgery, of course."

"Oh, that's great!" My aunt Magda exclaimed from the other line.

"Yeah, it is." I said, not sure what else to say.

"Good." A tiny awkward silence stood between us, "Well, it was great talking to you, honey. Let me know if there are further news. Cuídate."

"Tú también, tia."

"Mándales saludos a todos."

"Vale, un abrazo. Chao."

I hung up, my friends stared at me as if I were some kind of monster. They'd always stare at me like that when I spoke in Spanish. I gave them the finger and turned my phone off.

We were at Eva's house having a sleepover because they claimed it would make me feel better and that I'd been 'too busy with David lately'. To be honest, though, I did think I needed that to take my mind off things for a bit. It was nice to have a break from everything that was going with my dad.

"Wait, so I take it your dad's better, right?" Ivy asked with hope in her eyes.

"Yeah, he is." I put my phone back into my pocket and flashed them a small smile.

Nonetheless, nothing could be certain until after the surgery. But they didn't need to know that, it would only worry them even more. They were really worried, mostly about me. As much as it meant a lot to me how they cared for me, it still felt awkward sometimes because they didn't know how to act. However though, they didn't have to act in any way differently, but they didn't know that.

They smiled back and told me it was great.

"Well, are we going to watch a movie or what?" I asked teasingly, trying to get rid of the sudden sullen serious atmosphere.

"Which one?" Grace wondered.

And so a debate regarding what we would be watching took place, only so we'd end up watching Moana for the millionth time. I didn't mind though, I loved that movie as well. Eva and Ivy went downstairs to look for something to eat and some drinks, leaving Grace and I alone in the room.

"Uh, C, can I ask you a question?" Grace suddenly asked.

"Yeah, sure. Shoot." I turned to look at her and put my hair behind my ears.

"How- how do you know when you like someone?"

I raised my eyebrows in surprise, not expecting such a question, nonetheless, a knowing smirk made it's way to my face as I understood what she was talking about.

"You totally like Luke, don't you?" I smiled knowingly, I was glad I had unintentionally settled them up.

She rolled her eyes at me, yet, I could see a ghost of a smile lingering in her lips, "Just answer the question. Like, how was it with you and David?"

"There's no way for me to put it perfectly into words, specially since I'm not much of a giggles and butterflies kind of girl."