Chapter 4

Don't forget to vote and comment!

Chapter 4

I LICKED MY ICE CREAM as I slid into the booth at McDonald's and David sat next to me. We'd just gotten out of detention. It had been extended from Monday to Friday, two hours instead of just one, for the next two weeks. And, to make it worse, we had to give up our first break twice a week to help at the library, throughout the same two weeks.

We had David's history book; which he hadn't taken with him to school the day the library incident happened. We were at McDonald's because, apparently, he had all the intention to make me buy him an ice cream even though the bet had ended up bringing chaos along with it. Despite his initial intentions, he paid for us both, claiming he was a gentleman. He also bought fries because he said they tasted "like heaven" with ice cream.

David didn't seem the isolated and weird boy I had once thought he was anymore. He was pretty much the opposite. My theory consisted on the belief that I had gotten on his good side, causing the exposure of this hidden new personality. We had become closer in the past weeks especially given we had been spending a lot of time together through tutoring, detention and causing disasters. We were pretty much friends now, passing from just acknowledging each other silently when we saw each other on the school hallways, to establishing long conversations and making plans together.

"You seriously should try this." David insisted.

I cringed at the sight of him enjoying a fry with vanilla ice cream. He laughed at my expression and insisted once more that I tried it. After a couple of requests, I gave in and took a fry, dipping it in my ice cream and trying not to make a big deal out of it. I finally ate it and savored it, trying to decide whether I liked it or not.

I finally settled for the fact that it didn't really bother me, it wasn't as bad as it sounded, but it wasn't as delicious as he claimed. But the fact that I didn't hate it didn't stop me from making my expression resemble that of disgust with the purpose of teasing him.

"Your loss." He muttered with a shrug and took another fry from the pile with a teasing smile.

I laughed as I stole another fry and dipped it, trying to contradict myself and, therefore, confuse him. He shook his head, with a ghost of a smile plastered on his face. We then continued to talk, postponing the study session from half an hour to the next, never actually starting to study for the test.

"When's your birthday, David?" I suddenly asked, being remembered of such a thing by a girl walking through the restaurant with a balloon at hand.

"You really don't want to study, do you?" He muttered, looking down at his ice cream with a small smile marking his face.

I giggled at his comment.

"Answer the question." I insisted with a grin.

"I'll be 17 on November 22nd," he answered "what about you?"

"Mine's on July 27, I turned 16."

"Oh, did you have your sweet sixteen party?" he asked in sign of mockery.

I snorted and shook my head

"Well, I'll be expecting my gift on November, though." He said raising his eyebrows.

"And I expect to see mine soon, too."

"That's not fair, I didn't know you then." He pointed out.

"So what?"

"I'll give you yours next year." He declared, crossing his arms like a child about to throw a tantrum. "Better yet, consider this your birthday gift."