Chapter One - Wake Me Up

I suppose waking up in intensive care wasn't the best way to start my day. I was hooked up to various machines with an oxygen mask covering my face. I had electrical pads strapped to my head and arms, leading to a large machine which had started to beep. I also made a note that I had large leather restraints over my arms, the buckles feeling heavy and cold against my skin.

"You're alive still?" The male doctor walked in and said, looking rather shocked. He came over and took off my oxygen mask and stared at the array of monitors that surrounded my bed. "This is rather unexpected."

"What do you mean by that?" My voice came out as a croak to start with, causing me to begin a mini coughing fit until it had cleared.

"Well, you've been here for about ten months." He looked at me with a bored expression like he'd have given this talk to several patients before, which I highly doubted. "We thought you'd die in your sleep or something like some of the others have."

"Ten months?" I repeated, trying to sit up before remembering the restraints which were tightly placed around my hands. "And what do you mean by others?"

"Yeah, someone found you unconscious in your apartment after the particle accelerator exploded. We assume it was caused by the explosion, but we're not sure. I'll call someone in to remove some of the equipment from you and to do a health check. We'll notify the visitor that you've been having over the past few months that you've woken up so she should be here relatively soon." The doctor said, looking like he was just about to fall to sleep. 

"Has my sister been in to see me at all? I'm not sure what happened to her before the accelerator exploded because she was driving and wouldn't pick up her phone and-" I began to ramble, looking worried as there were a few sympathy cards and bunches of wilted flowers scattered around the room.

"Can you confirm that you are Miss Emily Stone?" The doctor asked.

"It's Doctor Emily Stone," I heavily emphasised as I hated it when people dropped my doctorate title.

"And your sister is Eve Stone?" He asked, looking longingly between the door and I.

"Yes, yes she is. What's happened?"

"Oh, I think she was one of the casualties of the disaster, sorry about that."

"You think? You better check because if that's my sister you're talking about..." I shouted, my voice wavering as I was trying hard not to swear my head off at the incompetence of this man.

"Sorry, I know she was one, I had to sign the death certificate." The doctor left the room, not bothering to undo my restraints. He almost seemed bored and unfazed at how many people he's had to tell that their loved ones had passed.

"Oh my God," I sobbed, tears freely falling down my cheeks while my hands were still restrained, preventing me from wiping them away. My brain almost couldn't comprehend the matter at first, like it was in shock itself. I felt the tips of my fingers and the end of my toes go numb as my arms started shaking with shock. My body felt as if half of it had been ripped from me as I felt pins and needles shooting through my limbs.

My throat began to catch as I erupted into a coughing fit of sobs. I had no way to stop the tears from rolling down my cheeks or hide my emotions behind my hands since they were still restrained. It was strange since you would've thought that I was feeling like I'd lost my other half, that I was feeling half empty. 

But, to some extent, I didn't. I didn't feel like she was missing. It felt as if she was still here, somewhere. The wave of isolation and abandonment that I had felt at first had completely disappeared as if my brain had decided that it wasn't going to feel any kind of grief or sense of loss at all. It didn't feel like she was dead at all.