Chapter Forty-Five - Purple Rain

The gentle beep of the cardiac monitor wasn't what you would've thought was going to wake me up. Instead, the tightening of my throat caused me to cough myself awake as I shot up in bed as I struggled to breathe.

I saw Caitlin rushing in, along with Barry, and Cisco. She ran over to me, handing me what looked like a big inhaler as I took a quick breath with it, instantly feeling my throat muscles relax and I could breathe normally again, though, it didn't stop me from coughing a few more times.

"How am I alive? I, I was going to die," I croaked, a lump forming as I had a flashback of the events. "You didn't change the timeline, did you?" I asked looking at Barry, who was uncharacteristically quiet and distant.

"No, I didn't," he replied, sounding bitter. The rest of the team turned to him in surprise at his tone, as I slightly narrowed my eyes at him.

"Barry? What's wrong?" I nervously asked.

"I'll tell you what's wrong," he snapped, marching over to me as he threw an iPad down on my lap, before glaring in my direction as he folded his arms over his chest.

"I don't understand," I furrowed my brow in confusion, watching the screen as no significant events were happening since nobody was in the room.

Suddenly, I was brought into the room by Ray, before he laid me out on the bed. Wells was shouting on the video at Caitlin for her to fetch things as Cisco came in and looked panicked and very alarmed. Caitlin had gotten a needle full of a drug, before firing it into my inner elbow.

As if my body had instantly reacted to the medication she had given me, a ball of purple erupted from me as I felt my breath hitch in my throat from a gasp as I looked over at Barry. I continued watching as soon Caitlin had pulled out the birthday card that I had shoved in my pocket after Tina had given it to me.

"I don't want to watch anymore," I cried, nearly on the verge of tears as I kept glancing at Barry and the screen.

"Keep going," Barry mercilessly ordered, forcing my gaze to go back to the tablet as I saw from the video that he had sped into the room, nearly falling over as he saw the sight of me.

"Barry, please, I can't," I pleaded, as the rest of the team decided to leave Barry and I since we all knew that this was going to end well.

"You had so long to tell me about this, months, and you manipulated me-" I butted into his accusations with a cold, bitter laugh at his assumptions. Something inside me completely flipped, causing me to go extremely on the defensive compared to my previous apologetic mood.

"God, you're scolding me as if I had a choice," I retaliated, shaking my head.

"What excuse are you going to throw at me? Actually, don't tell me, because I don't care."

"I don't regret what I did. I had my reasons, and I'll tell you when you're ready to hear them."

"Why are you talking to me like I'm a child? Like you're going to tell me when I'm a big boy?" He shouted, flapping his arms around as he did whenever he was pissed off.

"I'm sorry, but what part of this conversation did you ever think you were being mature about this? You're not willing to listen to why I didn't tell you that I'm the metahuman that you've been flirting with for six months."

"Is that what this is about? You've gotten yourself so wrapped up in this double life that you can't separate the two people you've been pretending to be!"

"I've not been pretending to be anyone! That's me, the better version of me. The more confident, the sexier and more powerful me, not the little lab researcher with a broken family and friends who don't even know when my fucking birthday is!"