Chapter Forty-Six - Things That Go Bump In The Day

Waking up in the middle of a ditch, with a pounding headache was not the best way to start my day or night as I quickly found out.

"Step one for waking up in an unknown location: check your powers are working," I said to myself, shaking my hands as I saw the familiar purple flicker between my fingertips. "Check," I sighed, feeling my anxiety lessen. I wasn't sure why I had decided to make up steps in my head, even if I only had one at the moment.

After being fed up of walking, I decided to use the cover of darkness to conceal my identity and risk flying around until I saw some signs of life. The last thing I could remember was visiting the Cosmos, and from there it was all a blank, really.

Soaring up into the sky, I could see a halo of orange light emitting from what looked like Central City, given the dispersion of brighter lights and their heights. I figured it would be the best idea to stay at my own apartment tonight, rather than bother Barry with my presence at a time where he has a considerable loathing toward me.

I landed in the quiet alleyway next to my apartment building and sighed out of relief that none of my neighbour's lights were on in the adjacent flats. I quickly made my way through the corridors and rattled the key in the lock, making sure not the slam the door behind me in order to not wake up anyone else.

The only thing that I hadn't thought about, was the fact that I had no furniture or carpet in my apartment, meaning that I would have to make do with the fabric decorators dust sheets I had stuck down to stop the floorboards from getting paint on them and some large sponges I had bought to create an ombré effect.

I folded a few of the sheets to make the floor a little more comfortable and I gathered all of the sponges that I could find, before wrapping another sheet around it to create a pillow case and with the remaining decorator's sheets to be used as a blanket.

My makeshift bed was beyond uncomfortable, though, I would rather sleep badly than be put through the emotional discomfort of having a conversation with Barry at this point. I didn't know whether I was scared that he was going to break up with me, or whether I expected him to keep me around for the sake of it, given the level of uncertainty that surrounded the team. I assume he would want some sort of stability in his life, though, our relationship would hardly be stable.

I daren't think about all of the exciting adventures we could possibly get up to as Central City's justice-seeking duo. I didn't want to get my hopes up, after all, he could decide that I had crossed the line with keeping the biggest secret from him.

~

I needed to perfectly time when I was going to return to the West household in order to retrieve some of my belongings for a few days. I planned to wait a while outside in case I saw Barry coming or going from the property.

After waiting a few minutes, I saw Barry open the door to Eddie, which I thought was especially strange, given the tension between Iris and the latter as of late. I made sure to sit a little more flush to the chimney I was crouched behind.

It had been a fair while since Eddie had entered the house, and I was honestly getting a little creeped out since I was pretty sure they had never had a conversation of such length before.

The sound of a car, a Fiat 500, rolling down the street caused my ears to prick up as I carefully swivelled round to see Caitlin stop outside. I was confused as to why she may be visiting his house and decided not to call him, though, I wanted to get closer in order to hear their conversation.

As soon as Caitlin let herself in and the door closed behind her, I scaled down the side of the house I was hiding on, before creeping across the road to sit in the bushes beside the veranda so I could hear Caitlin rambling on about terminating polymerisation reactions, blah blah, until she made a point about Barry's strangeness.