Chapter Twenty-Five - Mother Knows Best

"Why are you here?" A voice barked at me as Barry and I had arrived at Iron Heights.

"Nice to see you too, Eddie," I groaned, rolling my eyes as I crossed my arms over my chest.

"I'm serious, Emily. You can't just show up with your boyfriend to a crime scene."

"I'm here on scientific grounds on behalf of S.T.A.R Labs regarding metahuman activity. Now, if you'll excuse me, I have some science to see to," I smiled, shoving my Lab ID into his face as I stared down at him slightly since the heel of my boots made me taller than him, as I walked past to where Joe was waiting for us.

"And I thought you were meant to be better at being on time, Barry," Joe muttered, raising an eyebrow at him.

"And I thought that Barry didn't work on Saturdays, but here we are," I grumbled.

"I was about to ask why you were here, actually," Joe asked, eyeing me suspiciously.

"Well, for starters, this all interrupted date day," I said out loud, before adding into Joe's head, "And I thought you might need some of my other skills, in case any of the prisoners aren't very willing to surrender any information."

"Come on you two; I'll show you where it is," Joe agreed as I gave Barry a high five as soon as Joe had turned around and started walking towards the scene. "Emily, can I borrow you for a minute? We'll let you get set up, Bar."

"All right, I'll see you in a few," Barry said to me, giving me a small kiss on the cheek before heading off to the cell while Joe took me aside.

"Do you think that you can get some ideas about what happened here from some of the prisoners?" Joe asked me.

"Sure, I'll have a try," I smiled as he nodded in response, passing me a pen and a piece of paper.

I walked back down the line of cells, ignoring the wolf whistles from the prisoners and peered into some of the cells. Most of the prisoners didn't know much, apart from that there was a woman who broke Clay out of prison. I noted down everything that I could, trying to get a name for the mystery woman but it seemed that nobody knew who she was.

I froze in place as I reached one cell. I could hardly breathe as I saw the stubble, now greying from being locked up in here for so long. He was smirking at me once he saw the tears in my eyes. I felt sick to my stomach at the sound of his low, rumbling laughter. My grip on Joe's notepad had intensified as he stood up from his bunk bed and leant on the bars.

"My, my, if it isn't little Emilia Stone, how you have grown," the familiar French accent burned through my ears as I stayed silent, gripping Joe's pen in my hand until I heard the metal crack inside my fist. "What's up little mouse, cat got your tongue?" He taunted. My chest was tight, my eyes were wide with fear and were rapidly gaining in moisture.

"What happened to that fiery sister of yours? She always did more talking that you, sweet little mouse. I heard your father moved away after he won his case. Poor little mouse left all alone."

"Why don't you shut the hell up and be grateful you escaped the death penalty, little mouse?" I shouted, narrowing my eyes at him.

"Ah, there we are. The fire that burns within a victim's family. Tell me, little mouse, how is your mother? Still hanging on? I bet you wished that she had been put out of her misery and died like she was supposed to, no?" He gibed, his eyes as dark as they were on the day of his sentencing. My tears finally spilt over as I walked away from his cell.

"Run away, little mouse. Run! For the lions will be released from their den soon, and they'll be coming straight for you," he threatened as others around him cheered. He was to be let out of prison later this year, following a nine-year sentence.