Chapter Twenty-Two - A Warm Welcome

It was a seemingly normal day in S.T.A.R Labs, apart from Cisco giving me the odd look every time Miss Cosmic was mentioned. Barry was currently out doing some work for the CCPD since Dr. Wells's house was broken into last night. I found it a little strange that somebody would break into Wells's house if they were angry about the particle accelerator exploding since surely they would attack the labs instead?

"Yo, Emily! Team Flash meeting, let's go!" Cisco beckoned, poking his head around the door.

"Coming, hang on," I replied, putting the lid on my pen and scooting out of my wheelie chair and into the Cortex where I took my place beside Barry.

"I know who the man who attacked me last night was," Dr. Wells began, wheeling his chair to the centre of the room and putting a picture of him on the screens.

"Oh no," I sighed, rolling my eyes as I sank into one of the chairs from the central desk, facepalming my forehead in annoyance.

"You know him?" Cisco asked as I nodded my head.

"Hartley Rathaway, the boy who dared to screw around with the Stone sisters. We met in AP Physics after I had swapped all of my classes around and he was nice to start with but then started messing with Eve and I and made fun of our accents, so Eve punched him in the face," I proudly recollected.

"I wish I was there to have seen that," Cisco gasped, a smile on his face.

"So do I. I wasn't even there to see her do it since I was at a drama rehearsal."

"He used to work here," Dr. Wells continued, trying to bring the conversation back to him.

"Why haven't you guys ever mentioned him before?" Barry asked.

"He has a... challenging personality," Caitlin explained, trying to put it nicely.

"What she means is that he was mostly a jerk and every once in a while, he could be a dick," Cisco explained as Joe and I started laughing but were soon cut off by a look from Barry.

"But why would he target Dr. Wells?" Joe asked as my eyes landed on my blackmailer. I don't blame Hartley for targeting Wells but I wouldn't get close to him without Barry finding out or I wouldn't make it out alive and my mother would join me six feet under.

"Hartley left about a year ago, after a disagreement." There was a tense silence as everyone waited for Dr. Wells to spill the details, but he refused.

"We'll get him, all right? I won't let him harm you, any of you. Let's get back to my lab," Barry gave me a quick kiss on the cheek before going back to the CCPD with Joe.

"So, what do you need me to do?" I asked, looking at everyone.

"There isn't much we can do until he shows himself again or until Barry finds anything."