Chapter Twelve - Midnight Visitors

I stepped up to my old enemy, the salmon ladder. I'd been trying to attempt this for about a week now but thanks to my injury, I had to push back my training plan.

I launched up to grab the bar, getting a firm grip on the cool metal before launching upwards, bringing the bar with me to reach the next notch. I refrained from using my powers, knowing that if I could rely on anything in desperate times of need, it would have to be my strength and ability to fight.

I racked the bar up a few more notches before I started to feel the familiar burn of my muscles aching as I neared the top. I was determined to make it to the top as I needed to prove to myself that I could do it. I shook my head, swinging slightly as I launched myself up, the bar only just reaching the top notch as I dangled triumphantly.

"Woah there Missy. Did you make it to the top on your first try? You're sure stronger than I first thought. You're not on any of those weird tablet things, are ya?" Brendan asked, standing by the computers.

"No, Brendan, I'm not," I laughed as I used my powers to slow myself as I softly landed on the padded gym mat.

"You fancy doing a little sparring? I could sure use a worthier opponent than some of the useless mops upstairs."

"Sure thing, powers or no powers?"

"How about no powers since you've got to learn not to rely on them."

"Good idea."

"Try not to break any bones, will ya?"

"Don't worry," I said, a smile breaking out on my face.

We began to circle each other on the mats; our stances were low and threatening. Brendan knew that I had been taking martial arts classes but not that I'd been watching crazy stuntmen videos on the internet and copying their moves. He lunged at me, aiming a punch at my side which landed on my stomach instead, causing me to stumble backwards. 

I shook my head to refocus my efforts as I charged at him, jumping before I span to gain some more momentum as I unleashed an almighty kick to his collarbone, following the move through until he landed on the floor.

"Jesus, Em. Thought I said not to break any bones," Brendan muttered, picking himself up from the floor.

"Sorry, Brend," I said rather sheepishly, a red tinge forming on my face from embarrassment. His collarbone looked incredibly sore and bruised but didn't seem broken.

"Your friends Barry and Eddie are upstairs, by the way. You sure you don't wanna give them a run for their money, instead of beating me up?"

"Sure, I'll be up in a minute," I smiled.

"Maybe put some more clothes on, I don't think it would be fair for you to beat them both that way."

"Hush, it'll be fine. It's only a crop top and shorts." I was grateful for my fast healing abilities, meaning that my bruising had now completely gone, and my side was back to normal.

"That's exactly my point," he said, following me up the stairs to the secret entrance that Brendan had made in the ladies changing room since nobody ever really used it. I made sure to re-tie my hair up into a smoother ponytail and adjusted my crop top and shorts. I walked out to the main boxing area, seeing some of Brendan's regulars, along with Barry and Eddie, attempting their best at fighting.

"Oh, ladies, what a poor excuse for fighters. Is that what you call boxing?" My two friends looked up from their training, both their eyes skimming my body before landing on my face.

"Oh please, like you could do any better," Eddie taunted, putting his glove-covered fists up mockingly.

"Sure, let me get my gloves."