Chapter 21

(No Control | Holding Me Ransom - 21 - Messing With My Head)

I sleep for the entire duration of the flight from LA to Vancouver, and wake up as we are beginning our descent with a blanket tucked around me that definitely wasn't there when I fell asleep. I look around groggily, wondering who the culprit was, when the blonde air hostess, Megan, appears at the side of my seat.

"Did you sleep alright?" she asks.

"Um, yeah, thanks," I answer croakily.

"I thought you might be cold so I put a blanket over you. I hope that's OK," she says, smiling shyly at me.

"Oh, it was you?" I reply, curiously. "I thought it was Niall taking the piss."

"Yeah, it was me," she says, looking down at the floor, coyly.

"Right, well, thanks," I say.

"Did you want anything to eat?" she offers. "You missed lunch."

I shake my head. "No thanks. I'll get something at the stadium."

She nods, and then surveys me with concern. "Are you alright? You look exhausted."

"I'm fine. I haven't been sleeping very well," I admit, unsure why I am telling her this.

"Is there a reason for that?" she asks softly.

"Yeah," I sigh, looking away out of the window at the clouds below us.

"Do you wanna talk about it?" she persists, but her tone is gentle.

"Not really," I mutter, looking down at my lap.

She squeezes my shoulder. "OK. Well, if you change your mind, you know where I am," she offers, and smiles over her shoulder at me as she walks up the cabin towards the pilot's door.

"She's well into you," says an Irish voice behind me, and I glance behind me and smirk at Niall's smug, knowing expression.

"I don't think so," I reply.

"Harry, how are you still so blind to it after five years of women falling at your feet? She's already wet for you."

I ignore his cackles and turn back around in my seat, shaking my head and chuckling softly. You can always count on Niall to be blunt to the point of vulgarity.

As soon as we arrive at the stadium we head straight to soundcheck and then hang out backstage, doing some meet and greets, having dinner and chatting with the crew. Liam is in and out a lot seemingly arguing on the phone, and I catch Louis' eye as I watch Liam flounce out of the room for the third time, his phone pressed to his ear.

"Sophia," Louis mouths.

I give him a questioning look, and he gets up and comes and sits next to me on the sofa.

"Things aren't going too well. I think she's feeling the distance a bit."

"Aren't we all," I sigh.

"I know. You think she'd be used to it by now though, wouldn't you?" he says, rolling his eyes.

"I think a lot of people will be glad about this hiatus," I observe, and he nods.

"I know. When you think about what we've done in the space of just five years..." He trails off and stares at the wall.

"It'll be nice to stop for breath," I agree.

"How are things with Jess?" he asks. "Did you get in touch with her?"

I grimace. "Don't ask. She's brushing me off, big time."