Chapter 41

(No Control | Holding me Ransom - 41 - Playing It Cool)

We head to the cafe on Hampstead Heath for lunch, and Jess insists she is fine with being out in public, even though I give her the option (several times) of going back to my house for privacy. It crosses my mind fleetingly that maybe she is worried I am trying to get her back to my house to make some sort of move on her, but by the way she seems to be enjoying our playful banter I don't think this is the case. She seems genuinely at ease around me, and it makes a refreshing change to be out and about.

We sit outside in the sun to eat our lunch, and although the cafe isn't busy yet, I am still on high alert for paps or fans. The last thing I want is any sneaky pictures of us making their way into the news and scaring her off for good, not when things finally seem to be going well.

"So... you never answered my question about next weekend," I point out once our coffees have arrived.

"It sounds lovely," she admits, looking up at me and smiling. "I don't want to impose though. Shouldn't you check with your mum before you offer her spare room?"

"I'll check, but I know it'll be fine," I say confidently. I know Mum will be more than happy to see Jess, under any circumstances. "So is that a yes?"

"As long as it's fine with your mum, then yes."

I beam at her.

"OK great. Gemma will be chuffed. You can do girly stuff, like paint each other's nails and plait each other's hair."

"And she can tell me stories about you, and we can laugh at terrible pictures of you before you were famous," she nods slowly, and sideglances me to watch my reaction. I narrow my eyes at her.

"There'll be none of that."

"There will be plenty of that," she counters. "And the best of it is, you won't be there to stop it. You'll be prancing around on stage while thousands of girls scream your name."

I resist the urge to comeback with, "I'd rather you were screaming my name," as I think I have pushed my luck far enough for now. I let her win that round, just because she is amazing and sexy and beautiful and I love her, and several times over the next hour I catch her looking at me when she doesn't think I am looking at her, and this makes me smile even more.

By the time we arrive back home it is mid afternoon, but I'm not ready or the day to end just yet, and am relieved when she readily accepts the offer of a cup of tea. I send her through to the lounge and head into the kitchen to flick the kettle on. I check my emails while I am waiting for it to boil, and come across one from Karen.

Morning Harry, I've had a request from a representative of Georgia Fowler who is currently modelling under a contract with Victoria's Secret. I'm not sure if you know of her, or have met her before in your social circles, but it seems she is keen to get to know you and has asked her management to contact you through us, to suggest a meeting. Please see email below. I haven't responded; I will await your reply. Karen.

I pull a face as I quickly scroll down to the email sent by Georgia's management. I barely know this girl - I think I have said hello to her once at a fashion event a year or so ago. I get requests like these from time to time, and the odd one or two I accepted back in 2014 didn't amount to much. And besides, I am not interested in anyone other than Jess, and Karen knows this. I don't even know why she is bothering me with it.

I delete the email without replying, quickly scan through the others in my inbox, and then head back into the lounge with our freshly made tea to find Jess on the sofa channel surfing.

"Do you want to put a film on?" I ask sitting down next to her and staring at her dainty hands as she curls her fingers around her mug.

"Yeah, sounds good," she replies. "Any requests? No action, though."