Chapter 24

(No Control | Holding Me Ransom - 24 - Nothing's Making Sense) 

I'm thankful for air conditioning as I'm sitting in traffic on a gridlocked M4. The journey to Cardiff takes over four hours due to roadworks at the Swindon turn off, and I make a quick dash into some services near Bristol to grab a sandwich and have a wee. It is twenty to five when I pull into the car park next to a modern office block on an industrial estate just outside the city centre, kill the engine and check my reflection in the mirror. I look nervous. I need to relax.

I have a missed call from Paul, my security, and I decide not to call him back. I send him a quick text - Took a slight detour to Cardiff. Don't be cross! - and then unplug my phone from the car charger and sit and wait, staring at the clock as the minutes tick by until five to five.

I get out of the car and make my way nervously towards the main entrance. I don't really want to be seen by anyone except Jess so I hover behind a couple of tall hydrangea bushes, watching the door, my hands shoved in my pockets. My back is sweating again, and I discreetly sniff my shirt - thankfully I don't smell. That wouldn't be a good start.

At exactly five o'clock a large number of people leave the building and I keep my head down, watching discreetly through my sunglasses, looking for the face that always stands out in the crowd; the face that makes my stomach flutter and my heart race. It feels like forever, waiting for her to appear. 

I'm just starting to fear I have either missed her or I totally misjudged this and she isn't in Cardiff at all, when suddenly the automatic doors open and three girls step outside, Jess among them. My breath catches in my throat and my heart almost stops at the sight of her. She looks stunning - her hair is shining in the sunlight and her cheeks are glowing. She radiates confidence, happiness and beauty. She is breathtaking. 

I peer through the leaves like a stalker, unable to tear my eyes from her, and her conversation with her friends is just audible from where I am positioned.

"Louis, from One Direction," a girl with auburn hair is saying, and my stomach twists nervously. "He's hosting a charity ball on Wednesday at a secret location in London. I wanted to see if I could catch a glimpse of the boys but I don't know where it's being held."

"I thought you might know, with your connections," the dark haired one adds. They both stare at Jess expectantly.

I watch her to see how she responds, my pounding heart sending an uncomfortable heat prickling over every inch of my skin.

"I don't really have connections," she replies, her eyes darting away. "I don't know anything about it, sorry."

"Oh, OK. Thanks anyway." Her friend looks disappointed. "Hey - is Harry as lovely in real life as he seems on TV?"

Oh my God. 

Is this a set up? Do they know I'm listening in? I feel like any minute now one of them is going to call me out for earwigging.

I stare at Jess again, my heart now hammering.

"Lovelier," she sighs, with a wistful smile, and I feel a lump forming in my throat.

"Really?" her friends ask breathlessly, in unison, and her lips twitch as she replies, "Yes."

"Why is he always so mysterious?" is the next question.

If I were sitting down I'd literally be on the edge of my seat.

"He's not, he's just private," Jess tells them. "He doesn't have to share his life with the world. Why should he? He gets enough intrusion."

Is she defending me?

"Did he sleep with that model in New York?" 

FUCK. No no no no no no NO!