Chapter 62

(No Control |  Holding Me Ransom - 62 - The Necessity For Apologies)

It takes me a few minutes to get to the entrance of the venue to make the call, as I keep getting accosted by people I know and I keep having to cut the conversations short to get away. Once I've spoken to Paul and he's confirmed they'll be outside to pick us up in a few minutes I turn back to look for Jess but instead come face to face with Louis.

"Interesting night," he remarks. "Jess OK now?"

"Yeah I think so," I mutter. "Listen, thanks for looking out for her earlier. It means a lot to know you've got her back."

"Of course, mate. Couldn't let Nadine disrespect you to your face like that," he nods, and I frown at him.

"What are you talking about?" 

He frowns back. "What are you talking about?"

"When Jess went to the bathroom and Nadine was needling her. What did you think I meant?"

"That, obviously," Louis replies smoothly, but this doesn't seem to fit with his previous comment about disrespecting me to my face. I open my mouth to question him, but he speaks first. "Watch your back with that one," he warns, inclining his head towards the entrance but maintaining eye contact with me. "She was a right sly bitch to Jess. She knew all the right buttons to press." He is obviously referring to Nadine.

"What did she say?" 

"Just a few well worded comments about you and your liking of Victoria's Secret models. She took a jibe at what Jess was wearing, made out like she wasn't in the same league as the fucking A-listers here or whatever - you know I can't be arsed with all that shit. Oh, and she made sure to bring up your night with Sampaio."

"She's a piece of work," I breathe, shaking my head slowly in disbelief at Nadine's deliberate and underhand attempt at making trouble. Times like these make me wonder how on earth I ever could have thought I was in love with her.

"Yep," Louis nods. "I put her in her place though. But I think Jess was a bit shaken afterwards. She looked a bit teary as we walked away. She was great, though. She didn't rise to Nadine. She's proper classy, mate."

"I know," I smile, warmth spreading through me that has nothing to do with the alcohol in my bloodstream. Hearing Louis talk about her like this causes a swell of pride in my chest.

"I'm genuinely happy for you, y'know?" Louis says suddenly and seriously. "I know I take the piss out of you relentlessly, but it's just banter. She's a good'un. Don't fuck it up again."

"Yeah I know it is," I smile at him. "And don't worry, I won't fuck it up again. Thanks, Louis."

"No problem," he smiles back.

I'm glad the paparazzi are safely out of sight. I can't imagine how a photograph of me smiling stupidly at Louis would be interpreted - oh wait, yes I can. I inwardly roll my eyes at the thought. My phone vibrates in my pocket - Paul is telling me the car is outside now - and just as I'm about to return to where I left Jess I see her walking towards me with Lou Teasdale, looking tired and straight-faced.

"What are you doing here?" I beam at them.

"Getting away from Sara Sampaio," she replies with a sigh, and my heart drops again. "I'll explain on the way back," she adds, and looking more closely I can see she appears mentally drained.

"The car's out front," I say quickly. "Do you want to brave the paparazzi together, or leave separately?"

"I don't mind. I just want to get out of here."