Chapter 80

(No Control | Holding Me Ransom - 80. Here We Go Again)

I fly out of Heathrow the following evening, and get a text from Louis as I disembark the plane at LAX: Briana's having contractions but still at home. Just on my way there now.

Nice one mate, I text back immediately. Keep me posted, hope all goes well. 

There is a mix up with the cars at the airport and I end up hanging around waiting amidst a gaggle of fans after Mum and Robin go on ahead in the first car. Of course it's filmed and posted on Twitter immediately which brightens my day no end, and even reaches Jess who has already seen the video by the time I text her to tell her I've landed. She's excited to hear that Briana is in labour and I promise to keep in touch. I head straight to bed when I get back to my house and when I wake up it takes me a minute to work out where I am, what day it is and what the time is in London.

Louis has sent another text: Briana is in slow labour, which basically means nothing will be happening soon. We're at the hospital now but it could be hours yet.

Do you need anything? I've just landed in LA and I'm at my house, I reply.

Nah I'm good thanks mate, but it would be great to see you once we've got the little one home, he sends back immediately.

Yeah I'll definitely see you before I go home, I tell him.

I glance at the clock again, and call Jess.

"Hi Squidge," she answers brightly. "Any news on Briana yet?"

"Hi baby. No, apparently she's in slow labour, whatever that means. Louis didn't think it would be happening any time soon."

"How was your flight?" 

"Fine, but bumpy coming into LA," I reply. "Then I had to wait for my car with a load of hysterical fans. That wasn't fun."

She chuckles softly. "It could have been a lot worse, if they had been more rowdy. At least you got away unscathed."

"True," I agree. "What are you doing?"

"Work," she grumbles. "Although I've just finished. I'm about to make a brew and watch some TV."

"Everything OK at home?" 

"Yeah, fine." Her tone sounds unsure, despite her reply.

"Are you OK?" I frown. "You sound a bit off."

"Do I? No, I'm fine." She hesitates a split second. "Have you seen the update accounts on Twitter speculating about you and Kendall again?"

"What?" I groan. "I've not even spoken to her yet! What are they saying now?"

"That you've gone over to LA to spend your birthday with her," she mutters, the resentment evident in her voice.

"Of course, it couldn't possibly be that it's also Jeff's birthday, and maybe I'm coming over to celebrate that?" I mutter sarcastically, annoyed at the tabloids for printing their incessant drivel.

"Hmph," she huffs, grudgingly. "What are your plans, anyway?"

"I'm looking at a new house tomorrow, having lunch with Cindy and Rande on Friday," I tick off on my fingers, "then it's Jeff's birthday party on Saturday and I'm meeting with Christopher Nolan on Monday."

"Busy few days. Are you seeing Kendall at all?"

"She's going to Jeff's party," I tell her. "And I'll try and catch up with her at some point for dinner, probably. I thought we could all hang out when you come over. I think she still feels bad over the New Year stuff, and she wants to speak to you in person about it properly."