Chapter 76

(No Control | Holding Me Ransom - 76 - The Words You Whispered I Will Always Believe)

January 2016

I return to the main deck to find all hell breaking loose. Kendall is screaming down the phone to her boyfriend Jordan while Kris and Glenne attempt to calm her down, although Kris seems to be revelling in the drama while Glenne has her arm around Kendall's shoulders. Jeff and Irving are exchanging uncomfortable looks while Mum, Robin and Shelli Azoff sit close by offering sympathetic words and glances. Dinner that evening is strained with Kendall's mood at rock bottom, her dour silence punctuated only by declarations of her intentions to 'get the hell off this cursed yacht'. 

Jess calls me at midnight (her time) to wish me a happy new year, and while I enjoy my own celebrations here on the yacht, I'm ready for this holiday to be over so I can fall into her arms and she can tell me things are OK between us.

After much deliberation, and a lengthy conversation with Mum and Robin, I decide I would like to be Jeff's first client of Full Stop Management. Irving reassures us both that he will be on hand for advice and support, and congratulates us both on our new working relationship. I sign a pre-contractual agreement and Jeff assures me he will have the documents drawn up in the next week, now the holidays are over.

"You can come over to LA for my birthday and we can sign everything then," he says. "And have you decided what you're doing for your birthday yet?" 

Our birthdays are within two weeks of each other and in the past we've managed to enjoy some decent gatherings to celebrate. 

"Jess's birthday is first," I tell him. "So I'll be in London for that. But maybe she could come over to LA with me, seeing as she missed out on the New Year break? Celebrate with us both?"

"Cool," Jeff nods. "Just let me know your plans and we can work something out."

"Hadn't you better make sure Jess is available?" Mum suggests when I update her on everything. "The last thing you want is a repeat of the New Year fiasco."

"Good point," I agree. 

Rather than springing this on her over the phone I vow to bring it up with her as soon as I'm back. I don't know if she has made any plans for her own birthday yet, and I involuntarily grit my teeth at the thought of having to spend any time in the company of the wicked witch of the west, AKA Callie, who has taken it upon herself to send me another abusive text out of the blue (I mean, it had been while since she last stuck her oar in so I suppose I should have been expecting it):

If you think fucking your ex-girlfriend in front of a load of photographers is "not hurting Jess" then I might as well burn that bag of One Direction shite, you massive bell-end.

It takes every ounce of resolve I have not to rise to the bait. I leave my phone in my cabin for a couple of hours (while Kendall and Jordan have another row) and return to it only once I have calmed down and am capable of sending a polite and reasoned reply:

I'm sure Jess has explained what really happened. And I'm also certain it would upset her greatly if you burned all her One Direction things. Nothing I can say will make any difference if that is your intention. If you really want to destroy them, go ahead.

She replies within seconds. Don't you want them anymore?

I knew it. I knew all this was just about her making me suffer rather than protecting |Jess from me. You know I do, I type back. But I'm not playing this game any longer. Either you'll let me have them or you won't. I'm not interested in this back and forth, or in proving my intentions to you. Like I've already said, I'd like us to be civil around Jess for her sake. I don't want her to be caught in the middle. I'm sure our paths will cross fairly soon so until then take care. Harry.