Chapter 39

(No Control | Holding Me Ransom - 39 - The Colours That I Can't Change)

The next thing I am aware of is daylight filtering through the lounge curtains, and the sound of a kettle boiling and cups being moved around. I open one eye to glance at my watch, and realise it is seven o'clock in the morning, which means Jess is getting ready for work. 

Why am I on the sofa? And why do I ache all over? 

I close my eye again and think hard. Oh yes - I came straight here after I landed at Heathrow. Jess cooked me dinner and then she let me cuddle up to her while we watched a film. Oh no... does this mean I fell asleep on her? I don't even remember the film starting. I don't even remember what film we were going to watch. 

Fuck, this is so embarrassing. I hope I didn't snore. Or dribble. Oh God, what if I dribbled on her? This could not get any worse.

I hear footsteps coming towards me, so I keep my eyes shut and a moment later I hear the sound of a mug being set down on the coffee table. I hold my breath, fighting the urge to grin.

"Harry."

Keep a straight face. Do not move. 

"Harry." Louder this time, followed by Jess clearing her throat. I feel a bubble of laughter rising, and it takes everything I have to push it away.

"Harry!"

I feel a gentle nudge to my shoulder, but I don't react. She's either going to suss me or throw a fit.

"Harry!" she squeals, sounding panicked. "Harry! Oh my God."

She screams this last part, and I feel my mouth twitching helplessly as she scuffles next to me, and then I hear a sharp intake of breath, and silence descends. She's staring at me, I know it. 

Don't laugh. DO NOT LAUGH.

My nostrils flare.

"You fucking arsehole!"

A cackle of laughter escapes as she punches my arm, a little harder than necessary. 

"I thought you were dead."

I squeeze my eyes shut, unable to control my laughter at her fury, and can't bring myself to look at her for fear her expression will make me worse.

"Why would I be dead?!" I wheeze, when I am finally able to speak.

"You tell me!" she hisses. "You were the one pretending! You nearly gave me a heart attack!"

"And I'm like, OW! Never thought it'd hurt so bad, getting over you-ou!

This is pathetic. I've never sung my own song out loud at someone before. But it was too good an opportunity to pass up.

"Not funny, under the circumstances," she points out, and this sobers me for a moment, until I realise how panicked she was at the thought of me being dead.

"Were you really that worried?" I ask. I can't help grinning.

I sit up on the sofa, and pick up one of the cups of tea sitting on the table.

"Yeah, more fool me," she mutters.

"You sounded like you were about to cry," I suggest casually.

"I was!" she snaps. "I told you, I thought you were dead or something."

"And that would make you cry?" My heartbeat has accelerated.

"Of course it would!" she says, giving me a strange look. "I-" she hesitates, and clears her throat. "You're my friend."