Chapter 42

(No Control | Holding Me Ransom - 42 - Make This Feel Like Home)

October 2015

"What's with your face?" is the first thing Louis asks me when I arrive backstage at the O2 Arena on Monday for soundcheck. "You look like the cat that got the cream."

"Do I?" I grin, flopping down on one of the sofas and sliding my phone out of my pocket. No new messages.

"Did you finally get the cream?" Niall leers, giving me a knowing wink.

"No way," Louis breathes, looking from Niall to me and leaning forward in his seat, his eyes wide. "You got back together with Jess?!"

"No," I answer hastily, shoving my phone away again. "But I did spend all day yesterday with her, and it was good. I mean, like, really good."

"You get any action?" Niall wants to know.

"Not unless you count my hand, after she left," I admit.

Louis chuckles at this. "That girl always did know how to keep you hanging."

"I'm glad my sexual frustration amuses you," I mutter dryly, running a hand through my hair.

"Considering you're the most desired member of this band, it does fucking amuse me that you've gone weeks without even a sniff of the good stuff, all because you're hung up on the one that got away," he retorts, without missing a beat.

"I'm playing the long game," I tell them, as Liam enters the room with his phone pressed to his ear. 

"Just don't play too long," Louis advises. "If you let her keep you at arm's length forever you might find the spark fizzles out."

"It definitely hasn't fizzled out," I argue, remembering her fluster every time I came too close to her yesterday, or gave her eye contact for too long. "I'm just trying to give her space, like she wants. She's said she can only give me friendship, and I'm cool with that."

"Except when you're jacking off every night," Niall puts in.

I shrug. "It's keeping me out of trouble."

"What do you mean?" Louis asks.

"Some Victoria's Secret model wants to meet up with me," I tell them, remembering the email from Karen. 

"Sara?" Louis squeaks, a little louder than necessary.

"God, no!" I shake my head quickly. "Georgia Fowler. Her management have emailed Karen, trying to arrange a meeting. I'm not going to do it."

Louis looks thoughtful, and Liam flops down next to him and gives an exasperated sigh into the phone.

"Soph, it's only going to be a few more weeks, and then I'll be free for the next... however long," he's saying. "Don't be like that - I don't want to argue."

"Have you told Jess about Georgia?" Louis asks, with a sideglance at Liam.

"There's nothing to tell," I frown. "I barely know Georgia, and I haven't had any contact directly with her."

"Yeah, but you know how this sort of shit always comes back to bite you on the arse," he reasons. "Look at all that grief with Swifty."

"That was months ago," I say dismissively. "And she was an ex. Georgia's just... a name in a email, and will never be anything more. And it's not like Jess and I are a couple again yet. It would be weird if I told her about it now. She might think I'm trying to make her jealous, or showing off or something."

Louis considers this for a moment. "Yeah, maybe. Although it wouldn't hurt her to think she's got a bit of competition."

"I'm not going down that road," I say, firmly. "I'm not into playing games, and neither is Jess."