Chapter 83

(No Control | Holding Me Ransom - 83 - Break These Clocks, Forget About Time)

When I wake up the following morning, the bed is Jess-less. I roll onto my back and grin to myself at the amazing sex last night in the shower and wonder if she will be up for round two, wherever she is. The time on the clock is three minutes past seven, and I reckon if we're quick we can squeeze a quickie in before anyone else wakes up. I slide out of bed, pull on a pair of jogging bottoms just in case there is anyone else up, and quickly brush my teeth in the bathroom before heading downstairs in search of Jess. I hear voices coming from the kitchen; specifically Mum talking about babies.

"What's this about babies?" 

Jess is wearing a tshirt and pyjama bottoms and Mum is in her dressing down. They're both nursing cups of tea and beaming at me.

"Your mum was just saying Louis wants us to call in this week," she replies, sliding off her stool and selecting a mug out of the cupboard, presumably for me.

"We can pop in today, if you want," I nod. "I've booked a viewing of that property above the Sunset Strip for tomorrow, I mentioned to Kendall we might be free on Monday to hang out, and then Tuesday is my birthday."

Jess frowns at me. "Your birthday? Tuesday is your birthday?"

She thinks she's so funny and cute. She's right.

"You're not funny," I fib.

"I am though," she grins. "Aren't I? Admit it. You're dying to smirk."

I smirk, for fuck's sake. "I'm humouring you."

That's a lie. I just can't help but smile around her.

"Fibber," she calls me out, and passes me a freshly made steaming mug of tea.

"So do you want me to ring Louis?" I ask, easing myself onto the stool next to her while Mum watches on in amusement.

"I'll ring him myself," she retorts, and I raise an eyebrow at her cockiness. I can tell she's bluffing by the gentle flush that creeps up her neck as soon as she has spoken.

"Really?" I counter. "Be my guest."

This should be good.

"My phone's upstairs," she shrugs, leaning her elbows on the worktop casually. One slips off. She's hilarious.

"Use mine," I grin. I pull it out of the pocket of my joggers and slide it pointedly with one finger across the breakfast bar towards her. There is absolutely no way she'll ring Louis in front of me, and we both know it.

"It's too early, he'll still be asleep," she flounders, and manages to change the subject. "Speaking of which, why are you up at this hour? I'm the one who's jet-lagged. I thought you'd be dead to the world."

I'll the Louis scenario go, for now.

"I woke up and you weren't next to me," I tell her. "I mean, you just never know what a crazy fan might do... steal my underwear, ruin my shirts... hey!" I complain as she flicks my arm. I reach my arm around her and grab her in a tight hold and tickle her until she begs for release. 

"Why don't I make us some breakfast, then we'll get ourselves ready and see if Louis is up for visitors?" I suggest, letting go of her to let her catch her breath.

"Finally, a decent plan," she huffs cheekily, so I grab her and tickle her again until she screams. When I finally release her she runs across the kitchen out of reach and leans on the door frame, panting.

"You get in the shower first then, while I do breakfast," I decide. "I know how long it takes you to get ready. We'll be here until lunchtime otherwise."