XI: Mom?

Wait to play song

"It's a paradise, and it's a war zone."

Alicia

Elyza has been in the hospital bed for a week. Her wound is healing but she keeps trying to get up by herself and walk around, making pain spread through her thigh and eventually opening up the stitches on her leg. I keep telling her that if she keeps doing what she's doing she's not going to heal right. Too stubborn I guess. Aden even tries to stop her from getting up.

Lately I have been scouting with our group, leaving either Lindsay or Ofelia behind to watch Elyza, because Aden isn't going to be able to keep her on the bed or get her to the bathroom by himself. When I come back I usually find Elyza and Aden playing monopoly, cards, or laughing about something. The last time we played monopoly together Aden won and Elyza was so pissed, but they played for hours after I went bankrupt that day. I yelled kindergarten capitalism to them and they just laughed.

Today Elyza wanted me to stay at the house with her. Aden was bored of playing monopoly and cards so on my last supply run I got him a baseball mitt and baseball, also an extra baseball mitt for whoever was to throw with him. I kind of found a box to put it in as a present. Speaking of that box it was up in mine and Elyza's room, sitting on the bed. I went up to our room, entering the week old abandon smell since I sleep by Elyza's side. I grabbed clothes for me and put them on quickly. Then I picked out clothes for Elyza to put on, or for me to put on Elyza. I had planned on letting her take a shower today since she hasn't had one in awhile because of her wound. After putting Elyza's clothes on top of the box, that held Aden's gift, I picked the box up and left the room, heading down the stairs.

As I was walking down the hall I bumped into Lindsay. "Oh, hi Lindsay."

"Hey girl, you need some help?" She looked at the box with slight confusion.

"No, I got it, it isn't heavy. But, uh, will you mind playing catch with Aden, he's tired of playing monopoly with Elyza, which is quite shocking." I give Lindsay a smile, hoping for a yes.

She was confused, "I would, but how am I going to play catch with Aden without a ball and mitts?"

I give her a grin, about to say the most sarcastic thing, "Your hands and a rock." I laugh when she does. "No, that's whats in the box, it's a gift for Aden."

Lindsay gave me a sarcastic confused face, "What, a rock?" She smiles wide, "I'm kidding, sure I'll play catch with him. You know you and Elyza are doing something great with that kid, it's almost like he's your son."

"No, he's not a son to me." Or is he? "You know, I feel really bad for him, he never knew his real mom and his dad and step mom died from this. He needs a break, a stable place for him."

Lindsay looked at me with a questioning look, "Are you sure he isn't your son?" Then a smile pulls across her face, "Because I wouldn't mind being called an aunt."

I shake my head, "Even if I do treat him like he's my son, it's up to him if he wants us to be his family."

Lindsay raises an eyebrow, "Us?"

I look away nervously, "Yeah, I guess Elyza and I, I mean, she found him, I only gave him food after I found Elyza."

Lindsay smiles, "So you do think of yourself as a mother figure to him."