How To Tell A Lie by: Jake Patterson

How To Tell A Lie is a fantasy novel that will leave you wanting to read more. 

How To Tell A Lie mainly revolves around the heroine Pinna Key, a young girl who's parents were murdered. Having no one left to take her in and care for her, the Royal Guard comes and accompanies her to Ecran. Going to Ecran means, to Pinna, that she will be able to start a new life and carry on. But for how long will Pinna be able to hold onto her secret. The very secret that can not only save her but also ultimately destroy her.

The plot is brilliantly thought out and has a touch of magic throughout each chapter. I adored the characters, especially Pinna though I am unsure if it is because she is the heroine in this novel or because of her endless questions that leave me smiling for some unknown reason. Then there is also Tiberinus (a.k.a. Tibi) who, in my point of view, wants to be seen as a tough Guard yet he has a soft side - like stating that until Pinna can afford a place of her own she can stay with him. 

The romance isn't overwhelming, the chapters were a breeze, and the overall storyline felt like a wonder. The only issue I have is maybe that the Queen went from feeling cold (and seeming slightly hostile) to warm and inviting. I personally would have liked to see Pinna struggle with the Queen being cold for at least a few more chapters. Other than that, the novel was overall a blast to read so far. 

If you like fantasy novels, magic, and heroine's with an ability that must be kept under lock and key then this is definitely a novel you should add onto your reading list today :)

Reviewed Chapters: 1-6

Rating:

★★★★

Summary from Wattpad:

"You wouldn't lie to me, would you?" he asked.

"Never," I breathed.

That was a lie.

***

On the year of Pinna Key's birth, the idea of magic was forever stained. Spat upon, and all remaining magic wielders went into hiding, or were killed.

That was sixteen years ago. This is now.

I am alone. My parents were murdered, and the only company I have were the Royal Guard. They were taking me to Ecran, where I would make my new life, but I'm not sure how much longer I could keep my secret. A secret that could get me killed the same way it got my family killed.

A secret that could change the world. Or mine at any rate.

This is the tale of how lying saved me. And how it destroyed me. This isn't a normal fairy tale. This is real life.

Book 1 in the Austream Trilogy

About The Author:

Hi, my name is Jake, and I'm in my third year at Hogwarts, and am the top wizard of my year. I'm a muggleborn, but I never met my father. This summer my mother said I am to go to a camp, where I will stay with a friend of hers, called Chiron. Weird name. She said I will finally meet my dad there. She said he is sometimes called the Sun God, but I think that's a joke. She probably means he's good-looking. I will miss the Institute though, despite me being a Daylighter. This is my second year I will put my name in for the Reaping. I'm scared, not because I think I'll die, but because I think they will find out I'm Divergent. I was marked as Unwanted, due to my creativity. Not my fault I'm a mutant. I'm from the Lake Sector, and fully support the criminal legend Day, but I can't help him, since my magic doesn't work in Adarlan. Why the heck would they have a glass palace? But it is much better than the underground city I used to live in, Ember. Gods, that was stupid. My cousin, Hazel Grace Lancaster, just got cleared of all traces of cancer, though she is still depressed over the death of her boyfriend, Gus. I've been hanging out with the White Lotus lately, as I am the New Avatar from the Southern Water Tribe, the Giver and School Master.