Girl in the Shadows by: Gwenda Bond

Girl in the Shadows by Gwenda Bond

Published by Skyscape

Release Date: July 5th 2016

Genres: Young Adult, Fantasy, Romance

Pages: 382

Series: Girl on a Wire - Book Two

Format: eARC

Source: Publisher via Netgalley in exchange for an honest review.

Eighteen-year-old Moira Mitchell grew up in the shadows of Vegas's stage lights while her father's career as a magician soared. More than anything, Moira wants to be a magician too, but her father is dead set against her pursuing magic.

When an invitation to join the Cirque American mistakenly falls into Moira's possession, she takes action. Instead of giving the highly coveted invitation to its intended recipient, Raleigh, her father's handsome and worldly former apprentice, Moira takes off to join the Cirque. If she can perform alongside its world-famous acts, she knows she'll be able to convince her dad that magic is her future.

But when Moira arrives, things take on an intensity she can't control as her stage magic suddenly feels like...real magic. To further distract her, Raleigh shows up none too pleased at Moira's presence, all while the Cirque's cocky and intriguing knife thrower, Dez, seems to have it out for her. As tensions mount and Moira's abilities come into question, she must decide what's real and what's an illusion. If she doesn't sort it out in time, she may forever remain a girl in the shadows.

Buy Links:

Amazon│Barnes & Noble│Indigo

Review:

Where do I even begin? The whole novel felt kind of confusing. Gwenda Bond, the author, tried to give the novel a type of mystery feel...but it was hard to follow. I felt like every other page would add something new to this "mystery". It was too difficult to understand or comprehend what was going on because of how much information was being given. Then there were the love interests. Moira fell for Dez after only meeting him for such a short period of time. Seriously! Though I am not a fan of instalove, I ended up despising the way this one was handled. The author tried so hard to make this relationship seem cute and adorable but it just didn't work. Not at all.

The writing wasn't compelling in any way. In fact, it made me withdraw from the novel and contemplate whether or not I could push myself to finish this novel. Realizing that this was more work than enjoyment, I felt both lost and saddened because I thought that this novel truly seemed like it had potential. I mean come on, if something is meant to be a secret then why is everyone talking about it? It all seemed rather ridiculous and boring.

Overall, this novel is definitely not for me.

Rating:

★★

About The Author:

I'm an author of young adult books. My latest are Lois Lane: Fallout, which brings the iconic comic book character front and center in her own YA novel, and Girl on a Wire, about a daredevil heroine who discovers magic and mystery lurking beneath the big top. Coming in 2016 are Lois Lane: Double Down and Girl in the Shadows, a new novel of the Cirque American. It's possible that I escaped from a classic screwball comedy.

I live in a hundred-year-old house in Lexington, Kentucky, with my husband author Christopher Rowe, and our menagerie.